RegisterDonateLogin

Well, if there's a bright center to the internet, you're on the website that it's farthest from.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Back in the game Options
TyDye
Posted: Monday, September 30, 2024 10:10:52 AM
Groups: Member

I used to play at local SWM events at my neighborhood card shop back in 2004-08
A piece of me has been yearning for that nostalgia again and I find myself here now. Absolutely kicking myself for selling my collection back in the day for ~$200 as it would be worth $2-4k now. But we can't change the past, only embrace the present. I see there is a Vassal tournament coming up on Oct 19th, I'd love to throw my hat in the ring but would like some practice to get back in the swing of things, acclimate myself to the vassal software and also to need to get caught up with the new balance changes. Is there a discord community to get in touch with outside of these forums? Anyone able to hold my hand through this process and run a few small practice skirmishes?
UrbanShmi
Posted: Monday, September 30, 2024 10:18:17 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Welcome!

Thereisnotry is our Vassal guru--he can get you up to speed.

The biggest barrier will be learning the v-sets, but people are always happy to help.

I would also recommend looking up DarkDracul's YouTube channel. He streams a lot of vassal matches which could help a lot.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Monday, September 30, 2024 1:24:53 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

There is a discord, but not really a community. The community is here at bloomilk. This is your go-to stop for advice and comments. The discord was set up by some non-tournament players. (Does anyone here know them in person?) We use it for the voice channels during tournaments, but beyond that it's very low traffic*. Thereisnotry and/or someone else might to use a discord voice channel to help you set things up, though.

*Last I checked. Because it was low traffic, I haven't checked in months.
Mando
Posted: Monday, September 30, 2024 2:12:55 PM
Groups: Member

Welcome back to the game! I know that I have a pretty open schedule for playing on Vassal during my lunch break at work, so if it works for you to be on Vassal anywhere during 11am til 2pm Central time, I can take my 1 hour break during that time. Vassal is nice because if you don't finish a game, you can save where you are at and come back and finish it at another day. Vassal is really nice way to play the game and get lots of practice and help the community out. We are currently working on another V-set and we can use help palytesting pieces. Feel free to bloomail me if you are interested in playing during the afternoon on Monday thru Thursday for a regular game or helping playtest pieces.