RegisterDonateLogin

Unleashed.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

How far does Melee Reach 2 Extend? Options
zorc62
Posted: Thursday, June 20, 2024 6:12:54 PM
Groups: Member

I had always assumed that Melee Reach 2 let's you hit all the squares adjacent to the squares you can hit with Melee Attack, but re-reading it, I realized I'm not sure.

The ability's glossary entry says "When making an attack on its own turn, this character treats all characters within 2 squares as adjacent for all purposes. This character can be affected by enemy special abilities or Force powers that specify adjacent characters and interrupt this attack, such as Self-Destruct."

Does "within 2 squares" count the same way as movement where diagonals cost double? Or does it make a box of hittable squares extending further than normal each way? You can melee attack diagonally, so are those diagonally adjacent squares the "edge" of within two squares, or do you count past them?
gandalfthegreatestwizard
Posted: Friday, June 21, 2024 3:59:39 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

It's counted in the same way as movement (though ignoring difficult terrain and low objects, obviously). So yes, it doesn't affect "diagonal attacking" since the diagonally adjacent squares are already two squares away. It only extends the character's reach to the four squares directly north, south, east and west of them which are two squares away.

Visual representation:

C=character
X=square they can attack
X=unreachable square

Melee Attack (no MR):
X X X
X C X
X X X

Melee Reach 2:
X X X X X
X X X X X
X X C X X
X X X X X
X X X X X

Melee Reach 3:
X X X X X X X
X X X X X X X
X X X X X X X
X X X C X X X
X X X X X X X
X X X X X X X
X X X X X X X
zorc62
Posted: Friday, June 21, 2024 4:06:35 AM
Groups: Member

Thank you so much for explaining!

That's so much less effective than I had envisioned - Melee Reach 2 only threatens 12 squares (as opposed to the 8 of Melee Attack).

I'm working on some customs where the goal is to update the WOTC minis to be more balanced across sets, and one idea I had was to let Luke, JM give one of his Lightsaber force powers to followers with a Force rating, thus giving Corran Horn access to Lightsaber Sweep with Reach. But that doesn't actually seem that potent now.