RegisterDonateLogin

You could use a good kiss.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Force Ability and Ysalamari Options
Overley28
Posted: Tuesday, June 25, 2024 1:04:41 PM
Groups: Member

How do ysalamari and a force ability interact? Example: Bastilla is playing grand admiral thrawn and has her force ability (ABM) turned on.

So I understand that if bastilla is in the ysalamari bubble, she would not get to spend force to turn ABM on. But if bastilla has ABM on and thrawn moves within 6, does the force ability shut off?

Scenario 2 is that bastilla has ABM on and outside the ysalamari bubble. Can a force user inside the bubble still benefit from the force ability and get the +10 damage? I am unsure because I do not know if a force ability and force power are considered the same thing or if the force ability is treated as more of a commander effect?

Then we get into faith in the force for say with the new revan. If Revan is inside the ysalamari bubble, bastilla has ABM outside the bubble, would revan still get the +10 damage?

I do understand that force immunity does beat force abilities as it says in the glossary but there is no mention of ysalamari.
Overley28
Posted: Tuesday, June 25, 2024 1:15:50 PM

Another scenario I would like to add if Bastilla is next to revan (within faith in the force range), has ABM on but is inside a ysalamari bubble....what happens. who wins? ABM cannot be used? ABM + Faith in the force trumps ysalamari?
N3rdSl4y3r
Posted: Tuesday, June 25, 2024 1:33:57 PM

I am by no means an expert, but here are my thoughts/opinions.

Overley28 wrote:
So I understand that if bastilla is in the ysalamari bubble, she would not get to spend force to turn ABM on. But if bastilla has ABM on and thrawn moves within 6, does the force ability shut off?
Similar to a commander being distracted/disrupted it shuts off the CE all around, so when Bastilla is in the ysalamari bubble her ABM does not work. I do not believe it would be 'turned off' though, if Thrawn dies the ABM would continue to work as long it is still active.

Overley28 wrote:
Scenario 2 is that bastilla has ABM on and outside the ysalamari bubble. Can a force user inside the bubble still benefit from the force ability and get the +10 damage? I am unsure because I do not know if a force ability and force power are considered the same thing or if the force ability is treated as more of a commander effect?
No, Ysalamari bubble would stop ABM from affecting the character inside ("characters within 6 squares cannot spend Force points or be affected by Force powers").

Overley28 wrote:
Then we get into faith in the force for say with the new revan. If Revan is inside the ysalamari bubble, bastilla has ABM outside the bubble, would revan still get the +10 damage?
No, unless Bastilla is close enough to Revan to benefit from Faith in the Force. If Bastilla is benefitting from Faith in the Force, then Ysalamari cannot prevent ABM ("Their Force powers cannot be cancelled or prevented from affecting characters"). ABM (or any Force Power) + Faith in the Force beats Ysalmari.
Lightsaber
Posted: Tuesday, June 25, 2024 2:47:59 PM

Once again, the distinction between Force Powers and Force Abilities comes into play. As far as I can see, Yslamiri does not affect Force Powers (Glossary text: Characters within 6 squares of this character cannot spend Force points. Characters within 6 squares of this character gain Force Immunity. **SWMGPA balance update: This character and characters within 6 squares cannot spend Force points or be affected by Force powers). Bastila can not turn on ABM when within 6 of Ysalamiri, but once she's used it the Force Ability is the ability in question, which Ysalamiri does not seem to block.
Overley28
Posted: Tuesday, June 25, 2024 3:16:06 PM

N3rdSl4y3r wrote:
I am by no means an expert, but here are my thoughts/opinions.

Overley28 wrote:
Similar to a commander being distracted/disrupted it shuts off the CE all around, so when Bastilla is in the ysalamari bubble her ABM does not work. I do not believe it would be 'turned off' though, if Thrawn dies the ABM would continue to work as long it is still active.

Overley28 wrote:
No, Ysalamari bubble would stop ABM from affecting the character inside ("characters within 6 squares cannot spend Force points or be affected by Force powers").

Overley28 wrote:
No, unless Bastilla is close enough to Revan to benefit from Faith in the Force. If Bastilla is benefitting from Faith in the Force, then Ysalamari cannot prevent ABM ("Their Force powers cannot be cancelled or prevented from affecting characters"). ABM (or any Force Power) + Faith in the Force beats Ysalmari.

This is assuming a force ability is a force power....anyone know if this is true or not with better knowledge?
DarkDracul
Posted: Tuesday, June 25, 2024 7:02:51 PM

A Force Ability is a type of Force Power.

Glossary: Force ability:
Some characters have Force powers that remain in effect beyond that character's turn. These are called Force abilities.
Quote:
Q: So I understand that if bastilla is in the ysalamari bubble, she would not get to spend force to turn ABM on. But if bastilla has ABM on and thrawn moves within 6, does the force ability shut off?

A: No, ABM would not shut off within 6 of Ysalamari.
Bastilla could not spend force (as you mentioned) and any characters within 6 of Ysalamari would not be affected by ABM.
Quote:
Q: Scenario 2 is that bastilla has ABM on and outside the ysalamari bubble. Can a force user inside the bubble still benefit from the force ability and get the +10 damage? I am unsure because I do not know if a force ability and force power are considered the same thing or if the force ability is treated as more of a commander effect?

A: Force Abilities are just Force Powers that extend beyond a character's normal turn. Characters within the Ysalamari bubble are not affected by ABM.
Quote:
Q: Then we get into faith in the force for say with the new revan. If Revan is inside the ysalamari bubble, bastilla has ABM outside the bubble, would revan still get the +10 damage?

A: No, Revan would not get the +10 damage while Bastila is outside the 2 squares of Faith in the Force.

If Bastila is within 2 squares of Revan, she can spend to activate AMB inside the Ysalamari bubble. Revan, within 2 squares of her would then receive +10 damage inside the Ysalamari Bubble. However, it's a very unlikely scenario.

Lightsaber
Posted: Wednesday, June 26, 2024 12:57:59 AM

Just a word of advice: If Bastila is inside a Ysalamiri bubble it's probably already too late as ABM shuts off as soon as anyone pokes her.
Overley28
Posted: Wednesday, June 26, 2024 4:46:06 AM

While unlikely to have bastilla so close to the action, with her force attuned from the revan and in an important situation - it could be used and be very useful.
N3rdSl4y3r
Posted: Wednesday, June 26, 2024 5:24:12 AM

DarkDracul wrote:
Quote:
Q: So I understand that if bastilla is in the ysalamari bubble, she would not get to spend force to turn ABM on. But if bastilla has ABM on and thrawn moves within 6, does the force ability shut off?

A: No, ABM would not shut off within 6 of Ysalamari.
Bastilla could not spend force (as you mentioned) and any characters within 6 of Ysalamari would not be affected by ABM.

Interesting, so someone outside of Ysalamari bubble could still benefit from ABM even if Bastilla is inside of the Ysalamari bubble?