RegisterDonateLogin

Is your father.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Removing Destiny of the Force? Options
beemoney19
Posted: Sunday, March 20, 2011 3:40:10 AM
Groups: Member

I've noticed that in Squad Builder, when I leave "Restrict by Collection" unchecked, it includes custom figures from the custom set Destiny of the Force. My group doesn't play with custom figures, and I sometimes need to see figures I don't have when building a new squad so I see what the squad will look like before I try to buy the figures. But I have trouble remembering which Han Solo is the custom and which ones are real.

Is it possible to have an option to remove the custom figures/sets from the figure pool in squad builder, so I can view the universal pool of actual figures? Or will this break things?
engineer
Posted: Sunday, March 20, 2011 11:16:12 AM

Really, you don't use the V sets? DotF is only the beginning. The Battle of Theed Palace has a great new Maul and DD (along with a Super Battle Droid that you will actually play). I've seen all the stats for R&R. It's also looking good.

I do agree with removing the custom figs. I think this feature is already included. V sets are "more official" than custom sets.
keith
Posted: Sunday, March 20, 2011 11:33:23 AM

I'm having the opposite problem. When I build a squad and limit it to my collection, DOTF is not in the pool of characters so I have to uncheck the limit by collection box and wade through a bunch of stuff I don't own.

Is there a way to "add" DOTF to my Bloomilk inventory? Better yet can I add just the DOTF figures I own the recommended mini for?
swinefeld
Posted: Sunday, March 20, 2011 12:55:22 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

keith wrote:
I'm having the opposite problem. When I build a squad and limit it to my collection, DOTF is not in the pool of characters so I have to uncheck the limit by collection box and wade through a bunch of stuff I don't own.

Is there a way to "add" DOTF to my Bloomilk inventory? Better yet can I add just the DOTF figures I own the recommended mini for?

Hmm, I don't think Shinja intended for it to work that way when he set it up, as they are just "recommended", and you may use any mini you like as long as it is clear to your opponent.

Taking it to the level of "do I own the recommended mini" might well require adding the v-sets in like the other sets. I think he avoided doing this as it would mess with physical inventory tracking.

Tying the v-sets to the restrict by collection function and also recognizing whether one actually owns the recommended mini, without adding the v-sets as "sets", sounds kind of messy. (kind of like that last sentence Razz )
Eroschilles
Posted: Sunday, March 20, 2011 1:04:29 PM

engineer wrote:
Really, you don't use the V sets? DotF is only the beginning. The Battle of Theed Palace has a great new Maul and DD (along with a Super Battle Droid that you will actually play). I've seen all the stats for R&R. It's also looking good.

I do agree with removing the custom figs. I think this feature is already included. V sets are "more official" than custom sets.

I think there are those who would disagree that the V sets are more official than other custom sets. Though they are created and organized by a group of people who are using the V sets in the regionals and national competition, which is being supported and run by the same group of people.

beemoney, as to your request, I don't know if the squad builder is gonna be adjusted as the V set is widely popular and being used by most people on the site. Though I personally like additional organization and features, I just don't think it's gonna happen anytime soon.
keith
Posted: Sunday, March 20, 2011 3:34:35 PM

swinefeld wrote:
keith wrote:

Hmm, I don't think Shinja intended for it to work that way when he set it up, as they are just "recommended", and you may use any mini you like as long as it is clear to your opponent.

Taking it to the level of "do I own the recommended mini" might well require adding the v-sets in like the other sets. I think he avoided doing this as it would mess with physical inventory tracking.

Tying the v-sets to the restrict by collection function and also recognizing whether one actually owns the recommended mini, without adding the v-sets as "sets", sounds kind of messy. (kind of like that last sentence Razz )

That makes sense... maybe instead of using a number to keep track of quantity, just use a boolean to give the character a have/not have value to make it show up under "restrict by collection". But that sounds like he would still have to add it in as a set like you said. What about a "restrict by collection + vset" box?

I will just have to get the rest of the minis I don't own so I won't have to use the "restrict by collection" option BigGrin
Rikalonius
Posted: Sunday, March 20, 2011 4:05:32 PM

I'm with beemoney, and I've requested the same thing. It's frankly annoying the pushback I get because I don't like the V-sets. I would like to be able to do my squad building with just the figs WOTC put out, for all their good, and bad. I don't want to spoil anyone else's fun, but I personally think the V-sets are mostly undercosted, over-powered figs that make GOWK look like a Rebel Storm character. Of course they are wildly popular. Why pay 88 points for Darth Revan when you can have a nearly identical figure for 26 points less. I can see in a couple of years that the V-sets will be the only things played, but as for me, and apparently others, we like to just play the Legacy game.
cmears
Posted: Sunday, March 20, 2011 4:24:33 PM

I agree I'm not fond of the DoF sets as for me they are not real. I understand there are devoted fans trying to continue and push the game forward but thats almost like playing monopoly and making the rules up as you go along. Just look at the ratings page 8 or so of the top ten are DoF why is that. I also see that new stuff almost always has a push back from the purest but there has to be a place for traditional players and the progressives and a way for the two to separate them selves from the other is so desired.
juice man
Posted: Sunday, March 20, 2011 9:35:56 PM

cmears wrote:
I agree I'm not fond of the DoF sets as for me they are not real. I understand there are devoted fans trying to continue and push the game forward but thats almost like playing monopoly and making the rules up as you go along. Just look at the ratings page 8 or so of the top ten are DoF why is that. I also see that new stuff almost always has a push back from the purest but there has to be a place for traditional players and the progressives and a way for the two to separate them selves from the other is so desired.

Well, only 4 are in the top ten. A large number for a new set to be sure, but it was made and playtested by people who play the game. No fluff in the set.

But yes, those who don't want to use it should be able to remove it from the squad builder. IMHOBigGrin
Sashlon
Posted: Sunday, March 20, 2011 10:25:06 PM

I don't want to start a flame war or anything, but are you people serious? I mean, ok, like the vsets, hate them, whatever. But to be so uptight about it that you changes to Bloomilk's squad builder?

Also, some of the arguements here are silly, I mean you're really going to try and tell me that Darth Revan from TFU is not one of the most stupidly over-costed figs of all time? lol He could cost 20 less and he would still probably be over-costed. The dotf Revan is not under-costed, it costs 62 points. Its a really good fig, but it's cost is about right, if it was higher no one would use it. I mean you could argue that Atris or Bastila might be a little under-costed, but really, you used Revan as your example? Also some figures were costed with their faction in mind. Think about it, there's a reason the Yammosk, for example, is cheap.

Ultimately, play dotf, don't play it, whatever makes you happy. I'm as fussy as any gamer out there, and even I don't want the figs I dislike removed from the squad builder.

Rikalonius
Posted: Sunday, March 20, 2011 11:03:10 PM

I never asked it be removed from the squad builder, I just asked for a check box that allowed me to stay with the Legacy sets.
swinefeld
Posted: Sunday, March 20, 2011 11:07:08 PM

Rikalonius wrote:
I never asked it be removed from the squad builder, I just asked for a check box that allowed me to stay with the Legacy sets.

Yes, I must say the thread title is a tad misleading. Wink

In any case, it is a perfectly reasonable request, and I think it would be a good feature.
wannabe mexican
Posted: Sunday, March 20, 2011 11:22:17 PM

I think it would be a good idea to have a box for each set so you can remove them from the squad builder at will. This would make it easier for building squads for special leagues that remove a set each round, or add a set, or only have one set to pick figures from.
swinefeld
Posted: Monday, March 21, 2011 12:10:01 AM

@wannabe... I was thinking the same thing.

I've made quite a few special rules squads and that function would be pretty sweet.

space lobster
Posted: Monday, March 21, 2011 1:56:45 AM

why so angry?

aren't all members allowed to have an opinion?
The Celestial Warrior
Posted: Monday, March 21, 2011 2:17:26 AM

space lobster wrote:
why so angry?

aren't all members allowed to have an opinion?

As long as it's informed. Be a little more careful in your reading, reread Billiv's post, then try again.

There is a time and place for opinions, and given the OP's likely intent....this thread is not it.
swinefeld
Posted: Monday, March 21, 2011 2:20:23 AM

NO MORE Pro vs Anti V-set nonsense.

Most of this topic has been about squad builder feature suggestions. Stick to that topic.

I may do some editing here, but either way the bickering ends now.

Thank you - swinefeld
jedispyder
Posted: Monday, March 21, 2011 3:09:23 AM

I agree that there should be a way to not allow the V-Set to appear in the Squad Builder if people don't want it. It's obvious not all people are interested in the V-Set so they should be able to opt out. I think all those people have to do is just select "limit to my collection" (haven't tried it but logically that should work if you can't put the V-Set in your collection than it won't appear in that section, lol).
swinefeld
Posted: Monday, March 21, 2011 3:58:59 AM

jedispyder wrote:
I agree that there should be a way to not allow the V-Set to appear in the Squad Builder if people don't want it. It's obvious not all people are interested in the V-Set so they should be able to opt out. I think all those people have to do is just select "limit to my collection" (haven't tried it but logically that should work if you can't put the V-Set in your collection than it won't appear in that section, lol).

[my emphasis]

Correct. This is all that is needed to hide the v-sets from the builder, but it comes with a drawback in that you can't build with all the WotC minis but without v-sets if you don't have all the WotC pieces in your collection.

It would be great to be able to customize the pool of minis available to the squad builder as needed. Maybe we'll see some changes in the future. I'm not too sure the database server will appreciate the extra load though. ;)

One last word on the "purist camp" / "v-set camp" thing:

We are all free to play this game in any way we choose.
It is fine to say that you prefer one mode of play over another.

Leave negativity and dismissive attitudes out of posts and we'll all be just fine here. BlooMilk
billiv15
Posted: Monday, March 21, 2011 5:14:41 AM

swinefeld wrote:
NO MORE Pro vs Anti V-set nonsense.

Most of this topic has been about squad builder feature suggestions. Stick to that topic.

I agree with the first, don't agree with the second statement. Most of this thread were people poking at the V-sets for unrelated issues to the topic. Heck, even the topic heading is a poke.

Now as to no more of it, I agree. I'm so sick of this. We were a-holes for not having it on bloomilk, now the same people are crabby because it is here. Can't win for losing.