RegisterDonateLogin

I thought that Bloo Milk would be the end of me.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Rolling Mini of the Day (Urai Fen) Options
sharron
Posted: Thursday, June 12, 2014 6:19:21 PM
Groups: Member

Come on guys, 1/10 is klatooinian enforcer bad... Maybe a 6/10 was too much, but 1/10? Nien numb is 1/10. Not these guys. You can still enjoy using these pieces. That in itself should get you off 1/10.
juice man
Posted: Thursday, June 12, 2014 6:28:18 PM

Count Dooku of Serenno has way more playability than Count Dooku from CS. Makashi style mastery is big.
Lumia the exploder would be better (IMHO) than Talon. But yeah, 1 is too low for a Sith Lord.
TheHutts
Posted: Sunday, June 15, 2014 8:56:51 PM

Han Solo, Gambler, from Destiny of the Force

Quote:
21 points, Fringe
Hit Points: 60
Defense: 16
Attack: 8
Damage: 20

Special Abilities
Unique
Accurate Shot (Can attack an enemy with cover even if it's not the nearest enemy)
Evade (When hit by an attack from a nonadjacent enemy, this character takes no damage with a save of 11)
Gambler's Luck (Once per turn, this character can reroll an attack, adding +4 to the result. If the attack misses, this character takes 10 damage.)
Long Shot 10 (+4 Attack and +10 Damage when this character is at half Hit Points or less)

A Fringe Han Solo was a frequent request from SWM players, and he finally emerged in the first v-set. Upon release, he was generally viewed as a little disappointing, given the awesomeness of the character represented; he's not as strong as the premier Hans like Smuggler and Galactic Hero. I would have noted this, and given him a 6, until Tim Ballard recently took advantage of his potential and took him to an Indiana Regional win with the following squad:

Quote:
--Karrde Trick--
32 Talon Karrde, Information Broker
28 Dash Rendar, Renegade Smuggler
27 Lobot
21 Han Solo, Gambler
12 Gha Nachkt
36 Klatooinian Assassin x3
12 Rodian Assassin
14 R7 Astromech Droid x2
18 Mouse Droid x9
(200pts. 20 activations)

While Han Gambler is not a big damage dealer, he's a very reliable accurate shooter, especially once he gets the Talon Karrde stat boost - in that squad he's shooting for +12 for 30, with a reroll at +16 if the first attack misses. Tim refers to him as a R2 killer, which is a good description of his capabilities. I haven't seen him used in other factions apart from Fringe, but he does look solid as an accurate shooter in Talon Karrde squads. He's not your big hitter, but he's a nice option as a supplementary attacker and accurate shooter. 8/10.
TimmerB123
Posted: Sunday, June 15, 2014 9:14:19 PM

ThumbsUp
TheHutts
Posted: Sunday, June 15, 2014 11:57:08 PM

Minos, Yuuzhan Vong Warrior, from Invasion

Quote:
27 points, Yuuzhan Vong
Hit Points: 70
Defense: 17
Attack: 9
Damage: 10

Special AbilitiesUnique
Melee Attack (Can attack only adjacent enemies)
Twin Attack (Whenever this character attacks, he makes 1 extra attack against the same target)
Camaraderie (An ally named Commander Sha'kel gains Opportunist)
Force Immunity (Enemies cannot affect this character with Force powers, or spend Force points to reroll attacks against this character or to respond to this character's attacks and abilities)
Opportunist (+4 Attack and +10 Damage against an enemy who has activated this round)
Thud Bug (Replaces attacks: range 6; 10 damage, living target is considered activated this round; save 11 negates. Huge and larger characters ignore the nondamaging effect.)
Vonduun Crab Armor 11 (When this character takes damage, he can reduce the damage dealt by 10 with a save of 11)

Minos is obviously made to work in tandem with Commander Sha'kel - he gives Sha'kel Opportunist and Sha'kel gives him Embrace of Pain - and together they're a nasty melee team with Force Immunity. Although he's yet to make a splash at Regionals, Sha'kel is a really good piece, a movement breaker and a nasty beatstick, with Embrace of Pain, and Minos is such a good complement to Sha'kel that he's going to find his way into most Sha'kel squads - and the pair of them are also good candidates for the Advance Agent Officer's Cunning Attack, as well as Shaper and Scarification. Because Minos has Warrior in his name, he can also pick up a few more synergies - he gets Double Attack from the Yuuzhan Vong Subaltern and Charging Fire from the Domain Shai Subaltern. I'm sure there's potential for a really good Sha'kel and Minos squad somewhere along the way and I look forward to seeing it, 9/10.
TheHutts
Posted: Monday, June 16, 2014 3:46:37 PM

Wat Tambor, from Revenge of the Sith

Quote:
35 points, Separatist
Hit Points: 30
Defense: 15
Attack: 6

Special Abilities
Unique
Droid Mark (When this character activates, you may choose an allied Droid character within 6 squares. Until the start of the next round, that character gains Draw Fire)
Droid Reinforcements 20 (During setup, after seeing your opponent's squad, you can add up to 20 points of non-Unique Droid characters to your squad)
Repair 20 (Replaces attacks: touch; remove 20 damage from 1 Droid character)

Reinforcements are a very powerful ability - just ask UH Lobot - but Wat Tambor doesn't really bring enough else to the table to be worth 35 points - weak stats, repair 20, and droid mark aren't worth paying 15 points, and non-unique droids don't really provide the range of options that Lobot's fringe options do. Universe's Nute Gunray tends to be a more popular option for Separatist reinforcements - even though his CE is detrimental to some squads, he does allow the player to choose from Separatist uniques like San Hill and General Whorm Loathsom and he also provides Reserves on a 1. Reinforcements is a very powerful ability, but nonetheless this version of Wat Tambor isn't worthwhile overall, 3/10.
thereisnotry
Posted: Monday, June 16, 2014 5:08:43 PM

I remember, back in the days before Champions of the Force, when Wat Tambor was commonly played with the X-1 Viper Droid. He'd give Droid Mark to the X-1 (with its reflective shields) and then repair whatever damage got through. He was quite powerful, back in the day. But today...yeah, I agree that a 3/10 is probably about right.
harryg
Posted: Monday, June 16, 2014 5:13:27 PM

I used to use Him, Gha and lobot for 20 mouse dump Flapper
AndyHatton
Posted: Monday, June 16, 2014 5:27:54 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

I tried to use him not too long ago since I've always liked the Techno Union stuff and I thought I was gonna be clever and use a piece no one had seriously considered in years. But the basic idea was droid mark something next to a BX Spotter. It worked out ok, and it was certainly a fun game, but yeah...not super awesome.
TheHutts
Posted: Tuesday, June 17, 2014 12:01:02 AM

Muun Guard Colonel, from Galactic Heroes

Quote:
Separatist, 15 points
Hit Points: 40
Attack: 7

Special Abilities
Opportunist +20 (+4 Attack and +20 Damage against an enemy who has activated this round)

Commander Effect
Allies named Muun Guard gain Opportunist (+4 Attack and +10 Damage against an enemy who has activated this round).

Because the v-sets have put out a lot of good pieces, with less filler than the WOTC sets, occasionally something really good gets overlooked - I think the Muun Guard Colonel is certainly one of those overlooked pieces. With Poggle the Lesser and Whorm, he gives you access to a swarm of 4 point Muun Guards with +6 attack, Opportunist, and Twin, who have access to tempo control. Since you can get a Colonel and a bunch of Muun Guards relatively cheaply, they're well worthy of consideration for top tier Separatist squads - they do potentially synergise with everything else the Seps have, like San Hill, strafers and gallopers, and Poggle and the Geonosians - a whole swarm of Opportunist shooters can function well as finishers.

They're also worth considering for Techno Union Foreman squads, so they can get access to droid boosts like the Battle Droid Officer, or with Count Dooku, Separatist Leader, where they can take twin opportunist attacks when Dooku is damaged.

I might be wrong about this, but I just bought 14 Muun Guards recently, so I'll be testing my theories sometime soon, 9/10.
TimmerB123
Posted: Tuesday, June 17, 2014 7:00:22 AM

TheHutts wrote:
Muun Guard Colonel

Quote:
Separatist, 15 points

Special Abilities
Opportunist +20 (+4 Attack and +20 Damage against an enemy who has activated this round)

Commander Effect
Allies named Muun Guard gain Opportunist (+4 Attack and +10 Damage against an enemy who has activated this round).

Because the v-sets have put out a lot of good pieces, with less filler than the WOTC sets, occasionally something really good gets overlooked - I think the Muun Guard Colonel is certainly one of those overlooked pieces. With Poggle the Lesser and Whorm, he gives you access to a swarm of 4 point Muun Guards with +6 attack, Opportunist, and Twin, who have access to tempo control. Since you can get a Colonel and a bunch of Muun Guards relatively cheaply, they're well worthy of consideration for top tier Separatist squads - they do potentially synergise with everything else the Seps have, like San Hill, strafers and gallopers, and Poggle and the Geonosians - a whole swarm of Opportunist shooters can function well as finishers. I might be wrong about this, but I just bought 14 Muun Guards recently, so I'll be testing my theories sometime soon, 9/10.

I've been thinking similar thoughts for awhile now. The only issue is that Daala now does it better. Prideful is always on and non-disruptable. Troopers attacks can get much much higher, not to mention super easy to get 30 damage. I guess you get twin here, but range 6 makes it a little tougher. You can do the same with a czerka, though the czerka is admittedly easier to kill. Vs mass swarms that seem all the rage lately, twin is less important. The big kicker is no movement breaker (unless you use pawn of the darkside, which is NOT efficient). Only being able to move 6 and attack makes it hard. These guys would really struggle vs Klats. Also only 10 hp makes them susceptible to Momaw and YV Seers and the like much more easily.

Don't get me wrong - I think there's potential for a really good squad here, just not quite top tier.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Tuesday, June 17, 2014 7:33:49 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

He makes the Muuns prime candidates for becoming cyborgs and getting the droid bonuses, too.
harryg
Posted: Tuesday, June 17, 2014 9:09:02 AM

FlyingArrow wrote:
He makes the Muuns prime candidates for becoming cyborgs and getting the droid bonuses, too.

Yeah I think this is the best use of the Muuns, I made a squad a while back taking advantage of it
http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/133519/reliable-engineering
TheHutts
Posted: Tuesday, June 17, 2014 1:29:14 PM

The way I think about it is that their best support pieces - San Hill, General Whorm Loathsom, Poggle the Lesser - are already fixtures in lots of Sep squads - so if you plug in Muun Guards and a Muun Guard Colonel, they're a good option in some Sep squads. I always think about Sep squads as modular - you have San Hill, Lobot, Poggle, some Drones, and then 2-3 other threats - and Muun Guards with the Colonel are a valid option for being one of those threats.

It's not as a good as Daala, obviously, and Speed 6 is a bummer, but it only has to tie up some of your squad, you don't have to build your whole squad around it. I'm keen to give it a try this week, but honestly I think one of the main reasons it hasn't been used is that Muun Guards just aren't very sexy. It might not be quite top tier, but I think it's worthy of more consideration than it's got.
TheHutts
Posted: Tuesday, June 17, 2014 2:51:35 PM

Mara Jade Skywalker, from Legacy of the Force

Quote:
49 points, New Republic
Hit Points: 120
Defense: 20
Attack: 13
Damage: 20

Special Abilities
Unique
Cunning Attack (+4 Attack and +10 Damage against an enemy who has not activated this round)
Melee Attack (Can attack only adjacent enemies)
Double Attack (On her turn, this character can make 1 extra attack instead of moving)
Mettle (If this character spends 1 Force point to reroll, add +4 to the result)
Stealth (If this character has cover, she does not count as the nearest enemy for an attacker farther than 6 squares when choosing targets)

Force Powers
Force 1
Force Renewal 1 (This character gets 1 Force point each time she activates)
Lightsaber Deflect (Force 1: When hit by a nonmelee attack, this character takes no damage with a save of 11)
Force Push 2 (Force 2, replaces attacks: range 6; 20 damage; push back target 2 squares if Huge or smaller)

This piece has had to endure many comparisons to the earlier Mara Jade Jedi. All such comparisons are relevant - they're both Stealthy, Cunning Attackers, in a similar price range, with similar stats and hit points. But Mara Jade Skywalker piece is a mediocre, bland melee beatstick that doesn't have a fraction of Mara Jade Jedi's efficacy; Mara Jade Jedi can do 120 damage on the move with Cunning, Skywalker can do 30. Mara Jade Jedi has Lightsaber Block, Skywalker has no melee defense. Mara Jade Skywalker isn't the worst piece out there, but she looks awfully average next to Mara Jade Jedi, 3/10.

Also, after covering her and realising she's a 3, I've upgraded Darth Talon (who's from the same set, and not that much worse) to a 2. Count Dooku remains on 1. I'm finding all these mediocre, expensive, melee pieces hard to grade.
Deathwielded
Posted: Tuesday, June 17, 2014 3:19:52 PM

TimmerB123 wrote:
TheHutts wrote:
Muun Guard Colonel

Quote:
Separatist, 15 points

Special Abilities

Commander Effect

Because the v-sets have put out a lot of good pieces, with less filler than the WOTC sets, occasionally something really good gets overlooked - I think the Muun Guard Colonel is certainly one of those overlooked pieces. With Poggle the Lesser and Whorm, he gives you access to a swarm of 4 point Muun Guards with +6 attack, Opportunist, and Twin, who have access to tempo control. Since you can get a Colonel and a bunch of Muun Guards relatively cheaply, they're well worthy of consideration for top tier Separatist squads - they do potentially synergise with everything else the Seps have, like San Hill, strafers and gallopers, and Poggle and the Geonosians - a whole swarm of Opportunist shooters can function well as finishers. I might be wrong about this, but I just bought 14 Muun Guards recently, so I'll be testing my theories sometime soon, 9/10.

I've been thinking similar thoughts for awhile now. The only issue is that Daala now does it better. Prideful is always on and non-disruptable. Troopers attacks can get much much higher, not to mention super easy to get 30 damage. I guess you get twin here, but range 6 makes it a little tougher. You can do the same with a czerka, though the czerka is admittedly easier to kill. Vs mass swarms that seem all the rage lately, twin is less important. The big kicker is no movement breaker (unless you use pawn of the darkside, which is NOT efficient). Only being able to move 6 and attack makes it hard. These guys would really struggle vs Klats. Also only 10 hp makes them susceptible to Momaw and YV Seers and the like much more easily.

Don't get me wrong - I think there's potential for a really good squad here, just not quite top tier.

These guys are pretty decent. 4 points for opportunists with Twin isn't bad. I have used the Muun gaurds before and they are pretty good, they do have the hindrances mentioned above, lack of movement breakers ect. Good but not quite tier 1. I took out a BHC Sidious with a swarm of these guys once. now if they had Charging fire, or some other movement breaker they would be pretty boss.
TheHutts
Posted: Tuesday, June 17, 2014 3:46:30 PM

We're getting enough data to get a reasonably coherent average rating for each set (only the 40 and 60 piece ones, not the mini-sets, battle packs etc). I've still only covered about 1/8 of the pieces, so there's definitely space for stuff to change, but there are already some patterns forming.

I do think the key thing is the power jump between the first five sets and Bounty Hunters/Alliance and Empire.

The v-sets are averaging even higher, but that's because they have less filler than the WOTC sets.
TheHutts
Posted: Tuesday, June 17, 2014 6:30:13 PM

Stormtrooper Commander, from Universe

Quote:
15 points, Imperial
Defense: 18
Attack: 8

Special Abilities
Double Attack (On his turn, this character can make 1 extra attack instead of moving)

Commander Effect
At the end of this character's turn, choose 1 adjacent non-Unique follower. That follower gets +10 Damage until the end of this character's next turn, or until this character is defeated.

The Imperials have a limitless bench of this kind of cheap commander, and the Stormtrooper Commander definitely has his uses. He's weirdly named, since his commander effect applies to all non-unique followers, not just Stormtroopers. With his commander effect, he's well suited to strafers like the Scout Trooper on Speeder Bike and the Clone Trooper on Speeder, who can make the most of the +10 damage by using it on everyone. Another good candidate for the +10 damage could be the Stormtrooper on Repulsor Sled in an Admiral Daala squad, who can charge 24 squares, then pick up cannon shots from an Imperial Officer. The Stormtrooper Commander does get lost in the crowd a little, just because the Imperials have so many useful commanders in the price range, but he's definitely a useful one. 8/10.
TheHutts
Posted: Wednesday, June 18, 2014 12:10:27 AM

Sullustan Pilot, from Renegades and Rogues

Quote:
14 points, Fringe
Defense: 14

Special Abilities
Pilot
Speed 8 (Can move up to 8 squares and attack, or 16 squares without attacking)
Cunning Attack +20 (+4 Attack and +20 Damage against an enemy who has not activated this round)
Evade (When hit by an attack from a nonadjacent enemy, this character takes no damage with a save of 11)

The second v-set, Renegades and Rogues, featured a lot of Pilots and Pilot support. The Sullustan Pilot is interesting, as it has significant overlap with the Klatooinian Captain, a commander from the same set - the Klat Captain hands out Speed 8 and Evade to pilot followers, but the Sullustan Pilot comes with those two abilities preloaded. This overlap has deterred players from using the Sullustan, but it can still be a potent mid-range threat in some squads. Arguably, thr best support for the Sullustan is in the New Republic, where it can pick up Gregarious from Jagged Fel and twin from R2-D2/C-3PO Galactic Heroes, and with this support the Sullustan can get up to a +15 attack for 60 damage with Cunning. It's definitely worth having one in your Lobot reinforcement box for this type of squad, when you have an activation advantage, and just need another attacker. It's not a glamour piece, and probably hasn't made it outside the box as often as it deserves, but the Sullustan Pilot is a solid piece for the cost, and a good option for some squads. 7/10.
thereisnotry
Posted: Wednesday, June 18, 2014 6:10:42 AM

Well said. With the Klat Assassin at 2pts cheaper, I think that this piece will unfortunately not see much play time, except in the NR pilot squads that you describe.