RegisterDonateLogin

Handy Tip: Frozen Bloo Milk cubes make great damage markers.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Rolling Mini of the Day (Urai Fen) Options
SignerJ
Posted: Wednesday, June 18, 2014 6:30:20 AM
Groups: Member

thereisnotry wrote:
With the Klat Assassin at 2pts cheaper, I think that this piece will unfortunately not see much play time, except in the NR pilot squads that you describe.

Agreed. Sadly, that applies to pretty much any piece in the 11-15 point range.
Echo24
Posted: Wednesday, June 18, 2014 9:28:19 AM

Even in that squad, I wouldn't play a Sullustan over a Chadra Fan.
TheHutts
Posted: Wednesday, June 18, 2014 3:08:50 PM

Jedi Demolitionist, from Destiny of the Force

Quote:
29 points, New Republic
Hit Points: 80
Defense: 18
Attack: 9
Damage: 20

Special Abilities
Melee Attack (Can attack only adjacent enemies)
Double Attack (On her turn, this character can make 1 extra attack instead of moving)
Grenades 20 (Replaces attacks: range 6; 20 damage to target and to each character adjacent to that target; save 11)
Mobile Attack (Can move both before and after attacking)
Satchel Charge (Replaces attacks: Designate 1 adjacent door as open; it remains open for the rest of the skirmish and cannot be closed)
Stealth (If this character has cover, she does not count as the nearest enemy for an attacker farther than 6 squares when choosing targets)

Force Powers
Force 3
Force Bubble (Force 1: When this character takes damage, reduce the damage dealt by 20)
Knight Speed (Force 1: This character can move 4 extra squares on her turn as part of her move)

The Jedi Demolitionist is a nice solid Tier 2 piece - Satchel Charge on a sturdy piece is always helpful, as it prevents your opponent from killing your fragile door tech and then getting a lockout victory, and with Stealth and Force Bubble they do have adequate ranged defense, And they're fun with the 100 point New Republic Luke, where they can gain Force Renewal, and bodyguard for Luke; so they can bodyguard Luke's damage, then Force Bubble it away. Despite some useful abilities - the Knight Speed and Grenades 20 combination does also provide a useful option as well - I don't think the Jedi Demolitionist is enough of an offensive threat, given the cost of 29 points. Useful piece, but I wouldn't use it in a tournament squad, 6/10.
TheHutts
Posted: Wednesday, June 18, 2014 3:11:35 PM

Echo24 wrote:

Do you think a 7 is a bit high? Compared to other Fringe 14 pointers, I think they are decent enough - I think a low 7 is an OK grade for them.

This is how the overall rating breakdown looks:
Echo24
Posted: Wednesday, June 18, 2014 3:16:55 PM

TheHutts wrote:
Echo24 wrote:

Do you think a 7 is a bit high? Compared to other Fringe 14 pointers, I think they are decent enough - I think a low 7 is an OK grade for them.

7 is probably fine; there are a lot of 7s I wouldn't play, lol
FlyingArrow
Posted: Wednesday, June 18, 2014 4:13:20 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

The Klat makes most pieces in that point range a 1: unplayable. Not because they're that bad but becuase they all pale next to the Klat.
TheHutts
Posted: Wednesday, June 18, 2014 11:13:15 PM

FlyingArrow wrote:
The Klat makes most pieces in that point range a 1: unplayable. Not because they're that bad but becuase they all pale next to the Klat.

I think the Sullustan has enough going for it, that it partially escapes the Klatshadow. It has potential for much more damage output in some squads, and it has evade and more hit points - which can be significant if Klat counters like Verpine Shatter Rifle are used.

Jedi Training Droid, from Galactic Heroes

Quote:
New Republic, 12 points
Hit Points: 40
Defense: 10
Attack: 1
Damage: 10

Special Abilities
Droid (Immune to critical hits; not subject to commander effects)
Mimetic Combat Processor (This character uses the Defense, Attack, and Damage ratings of itself or any 1 Medium character with Melee Attack within 6 squares, whichever are higher)

The Jedi Training Droids are fun - their Mimetic Combat Processor means that it's best to run them with a piece with good stats (Saba Sebatyne with 21 defense, 13 attack, and 30 base damage is a good call). The result is a swarm of high stat pieces that can cause some squads problems - for instance, I can't image Mace Legacy of the Light Side coping very well against a bunch of these droids. It's certainly not over the top, since they have plenty of limitations like melee attack, only one attack, and no ranged defenses, but it does open up some fun squad options.

Engineer took this squad to the top 4 at the MI Regional last year, something that noone was really expecting (Sithborg: "Still, I sort of have to laugh at the Jedi Training Droid. Wasn't exactly meant to be a power piece. Ooops???") The squad does look pretty fun - HK-47's defense boost stacks with the Mimetic Processor, so the Droids are 29 defense in cover:

Quote:
Seba Sebatyne
HK-47, AD
Gha Nachkt
Jedi Training Droid x6
General Dodonna
R7 Astromech x2
MSD x2
Uggie Demo

Despite a Top 4 finish at a tough Regional, I do view the Jedi Training Droid as more of a spoiler build than a Tier 1 option, but they're an interesting changeup option for the New Republic. 7/10.
AndyHatton
Posted: Thursday, June 19, 2014 7:03:47 AM

the Jedi Training Droids also Top 4'd at the MI Regional
TheHutts
Posted: Thursday, June 19, 2014 1:36:01 PM

AndyHatton wrote:
the Jedi Training Droids also Top 4'd at the MI Regional

Thanks! I thought I remembered them doing well, but when I googled it, the first thing I found was WNY, so I figured that was the one I was thinking of.
AndyHatton
Posted: Thursday, June 19, 2014 1:46:38 PM

I actually thought they did better (I recalled them WINNING That regional) but after some digging I did find that they top 4d. Still great for a squad type that came out of of nowhere for a lot of people.
TheHutts
Posted: Thursday, June 19, 2014 1:52:05 PM

Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi Spirit, from Alliance and Empire

Quote:
8 points, Rebel
Hit Points: --
Defense: --
Attack: --
Damage: --

Special Abilities
Unique
Speed 2 (Can move only 2 squares and attack, or 4 squares without attacking)
Light Spirit (Ignores characters and terrain. Cannot open doors. Cannot attack or be damaged, and does not count as a legal target, the nearest enemy, or adjacent. Not subject to commander effects. Does not provide cover. At the start of the skirmish, choose a Unique allied character with a Force rating. That ally gains Force Renewal 1 and Mettle while within 4 squares of this character. This character is defeated if the chosen ally is defeated. An enemy within 6 squares can spend 1 Force point to defeat this character; save 11. This effect replaces that enemy's attacks.)

Quote:
"The Force will be with you. Always." Except when you move 5 squares.

The Rebels have access to a few really good uniques with a force rating and no force renewal:

Princess Leia, Rebel Commando - with Surprise Attack
Luke Skywalker, Rebel Commando - with Levitation
Jarael - can shine in Rebels with the Ithorian Commander and the Twi'lek Black Sun Vigo
Commander Luke Skywalker - with Use The Force

So despite the limitation of Speed 2, the Obi-Wan is potentially very useful. He featured in the GenCon winning squad in 2010, where he haunted Luke Rebel Commando to give him Force Renewal 1, and it fees like he does see more play than the 12 point Anakin Force Spirit, who is similar, but with Speed 4. Obi-Wan doesn't really do anything except give Force Renewal to one crucial piece, but in some squads, that can well be worth 8 points; often pieces that just do one thing well are the most efficient. Really nice sculpt too. 8/10.

As a bonus, it can be fun to play tricks with a Force Spirit - if you have a line of sight to a Force Spirit and a Diplomat (or a piece with Aggressive Negotiations), you can't attack either.
TheHutts
Posted: Thursday, June 19, 2014 4:44:04 PM

Todo 360, from Command of the Galaxy

Quote:
13 points, Fringe
Hit Points: 40
Defense: 15
Attack: 0
Damage: 0

Special Abilities
Unique
Droid (Immune to critical hits; not subject to commander effects)
Distraction (Suppresses adjacent enemy commander effects)
Flight (Ignores difficult terrain, enemy characters, low objects, and pits when moving)
Override (At the end of his turn, this character can designate 1 door that he can see as open or closed; it remains open or closed until the end of this character's next turn, or until he is defeated)
Rapport (Costs 1 less when in the same squad as a character whose name contains Cad Bane)
Self-Destruct Sequence 20 (Replaces attacks: 20 damage to each adjacent character, then remove this character from play)

The randomiser is really pumping out good but not great minis the last few days - Todo 360 is yet another piece in the useful option but not game-changing pile. The frame of reference for a fringe override droid is the R7 Astromech Droid, and Todo stacks up well against it - for 5 more points he has near identical stats and hit points, loses Ion Shielding, and picks up flight, distraction, and self-destruct sequence 20. Because activations are so important in this game, the Swiss Army Knife of Todo 360 means he's behind the cheaper Universe Lobot (7 points after Reinforcements) and R7 (8 points) in the pecking order for Fringe overriders, but the fact that he's worth mentioning in the same sentence as those two power pieces proves that he's really strong as well. 8/10.
TheHutts
Posted: Thursday, June 19, 2014 8:13:47 PM

Darth Revan, from The Force Unleashed

Quote:
88 points, Sith
Hit Points: 140
Defense: 21
Attack: 16

Special Abilities
Unique
Triple Attack (On his turn, this character can make 2 extra attacks instead of moving)
Dark Armor (Whenever this character takes damage, he reduces the damage dealt by 10 with a save of 11. Attacks with lightsabers ignore this special ability.)
Lightsaber Duelist (+4 Defense when attacked by an adjacent enemy with a Force rating)
Master Tactician (You automatically choose who goes first except on a roll of 1)

Force Powers
Force 2
Force Renewal 1 (This character gets 1 Force point each time he activates)
Force Corruption 2 (Force 2, replaces attacks: range 6, non-Droids only; 20 damage, and target is corrupted. Each time the corrupted character activates, it must attempt a save of 11. On a failure, that character takes 20 damage. On a success, that character is no longer corrupted.)
Force Storm 2 (Force 2, replaces attacks: 20 damage to all adjacent characters)
Lightsaber Block (Force 1: When hit by a melee attack, this character takes no damage with a save of 11)

Commander Effect
Droids are subject to these effects: Non-Unique followers within 6 squares get +4 Attack. Once per round, after initiative is determined, 1 ally can immediately move up to its Speed before any other character activates.

Darth Revan is a highly coveted chase piece, who's one of the most valuable pieces in terms of dollar value - but he's a weak mini. He's a weird piece; lots of great stuff that tossed together are underwhelming. A great stat line, triple attack, dark armor, master tactician, a intuition like CE, and a +4 attack boost are all great attributes, but they add up to make a mediocre piece. As much as anything, he feels like a mash up of a couple of Imperial pieces - he has Grand Admiral Thrawn's Master Tactician, movement breaker, and stat boost for non-uniques, and he has Vader Jedi Hunter's Triple Attack and Dark Armor. He's interesting, but almost impossible to build a good squad around, even at 200 points. He's not all that tough as a front line fighter - a good 200 point squad should be able to chew through him relatively quickly it you leave him exposed, but he's way too expensive to use just as a commander.

This squad is one of the most highly discussed on Bloomilk (134 votes, average rating of 7.58) - now that the fanboyism over Revan has subsided, and a much more useful v-set version has emerged, it seems obviously awful in the cold light of day. Paying 111 points to get Revan into the Old Republic and give the Antarian Rangers a +4 attack bonus and intuition is horribly inefficient.

Quote:
--Revan's Antarian Fury--
88 Darth Revan
23 Jedi Crusader
19 Old Republic Captain
48 Antarian Ranger x4
10 Youngling x2
6 Mouse Droid x2
6 Ugnaught Demolitionist x2
(200pts. 13 activations)

If you find a good use for Darth Revan, let me know, but right now he seems like a jumbled mess. Some fun stuff, but the he's definitely less than the sum of his parts, 1/10.
TheHutts
Posted: Saturday, June 21, 2014 6:46:09 PM

Viqi Shesh, from Armed and Operational

Quote:
29 points, Yuuzhan Vong
Hit Points: 30
Defense: 16
Attack: 6

Special Abilities
Unique
Advanced Door Gimmick (At the end of her turn, this character can designate 1 door that he can see as open; it remain open and cannot be closed until the end of this character's next turn, or until he is defeated)
Fringe/New Republic Reinforcements 20 (During setup, after seeing your opponent's squad, you can add up to 20 points of Fringe or New Republic living characters to your squad)
Outsider (Counts as Yuuzhan Vong only for purposes of squad building)
Yuuzhan Vong Collaborator (Yuuzhan Vong get +1 Attack for each character with Yuuzhan Vong Collaborator within 4 squares of their target)

Commander Effect
Characters added to your squad via this character's Reinforcements special ability gain Yuuzhan Vong Collaborator.
Allies with Yuuzhan Vong Collaborator get +2 Attack.

Having Lobot, Mouse Droids, and R7s in Yuuzhan Vong squads has always seemed thematically awkward, so Viqi Shesh mainly just feels well overdue. Like Lobot, she has door control (Advanced Door Gimmick) and 20 points of reserves - Viqi can bring in 20 points of Fringe or New Republic living characters. I'm not sure if there are too many strong New Republic options at this stage, but there are plenty of interesting Fringe options.

Characters whom she brings in gain Yuuzhan Vong Collaborator, and she also provides a +2 attack boost for pieces with Yuuzhan Vong Collaborator, which affects the pieces she brings in with Reinforcements, as well as the Peace Brigade Soldiers, who are already really good shooters without the extra bonus. Despite being a recent addition to the game, she's already featured in a Regional winning squad - sthlrd2 took out the Chicago Regional with the below squad, where Quorreal and Viqi Shesh allow 40 points of flexiblity:

Quote:
Winner - Nom Anor, Yomin Carr, SO Quorreal, Yammosk, 2 PB Soldiers, Viqi Shesh, 8 workers, 1 advance scout

Viqi Shesh is a really good piece for some Vong builds - she obviously has to be very strong to be a viable alternative to Lobot. But she seems like she's well overdue, and she should see a fair bit of play. 9/10.
TheHutts
Posted: Saturday, June 21, 2014 7:06:19 PM

Sith Apprentice, from Jedi Academy

Quote:
22 points, Sith
Hit Points: 80
Defense: 17
Attack: 10

Special Abilities
Double Attack (On his turn, this character can make 1 extra attack instead of moving)

Force Powers
Force 3
Force Grip 1 (Force 1, replaces attacks: sight; 10 damage)
Lightsaber Throw 2 (Force 2, replaces attacks: Choose 1 target enemy within range 6. Make 2 attacks against that target.)

Strangely, the Sith Apprentice was released in the same set as the Sith Lord - despite their names, they are very similar with very comparable costs, stats, and hit points - the Apprentice has Throw and Force Grip 1 while the Lord has Lightning and Assault. Because the Sith have access to Holosid and his force point bonanza, both of these pieces have access to plenty of Force Points to reuse their powers - the Sith Lord is the stronger piece since Force Lightning 2 is very good. But continuous Lightsaber Throws is also a fun option - it means that the Apprentice can put out 40 damage on the move, although he does really need an attack boost from something like Malak DLotS to help him hit consistently.

The Apprentice is far from the worst piece out there, and could work as a passable support attacker in some builds, but he is overshadowed by the Sith Lord in the same set and is much more likely to get on the table as a proxy for Darth Bandon than to get played in their own right, 5/10.
Sthlrd2
Posted: Saturday, June 21, 2014 9:20:40 PM

TheHutts wrote:

Quote:
29 points, Yuuzhan Vong

Special Abilities
Unique
Advanced Door Gimmick (At the end of her turn, this character can designate 1 door that he can see as open; it remain open and cannot be closed until the end of this character's next turn, or until he is defeated)
Fringe/New Republic Reinforcements 20 (During setup, after seeing your opponent's squad, you can add up to 20 points of Fringe or New Republic living characters to your squad)
Yuuzhan Vong Collaborator (Yuuzhan Vong get +1 Attack for each character with Yuuzhan Vong Collaborator within 4 squares of their target)

Commander Effect
Characters added to your squad via this character's Reinforcements special ability gain Yuuzhan Vong Collaborator.

Having Lobot, Mouse Droids, and R7s in Yuuzhan Vong squads has always seemed thematically awkward, so Viqi Shesh mainly just feels well overdue. Like Lobot, she has door control (Advanced Door Gimmick) and 20 points of reserves - Viqi can bring in 20 points of Fringe or New Republic living characters. I'm not sure if there are too many strong New Republic options at this stage, but there are plenty of interesting Fringe options.

Characters whom she brings in gain Yuuzhan Vong Collaborator, and she also provides a +2 attack boost for pieces with Yuuzhan Vong Collaborator, which affects the pieces she brings in with Reinforcements, as well as the Peace Brigade Soldiers, who are already really good shooters without the extra bonus. Despite being a recent addition to the game, she's already featured in a Regional winning squad - sthlrd2 took out the Chicago Regional with the below squad, where Quorreal and Viqi Shesh allow 40 points of flexiblity:

Quote:
Winner - Nom Anor, Yomin Carr, SO Quorreal, Yammosk, 2 PB Soldiers, Viqi Shesh, 8 workers, 1 advance scout

Viqi Shesh is a really good piece for some Vong builds - she obviously has to be very strong to be a viable alternative to Lobot. But she seems like she's well overdue, and she should see a fair bit of play. 9/10.

She's good, as she should be, but I would say even harder to keep safe than lobot despite the 30 hp that she has. The +2 attack she gives came in handy numerous times in Chicago and only being able to open doors meant that she was a target if I opened the door. She doesn't have stealth and that made it difficult to use her ADG. She did take out a couple scrubs in the finals match with her non melee attack at +6 (decent gun on a lobot like piece) and she got the final round of gambit for me to win the game in the finals. She is good but very vulnerable. You have to carefully consider if you want to Gimmick a door with her as that would leave her exposed (espicially in my squad that was filled with super stealth). She will see more play be because she is good but she does take a certain finesse to run effectively. 9/10
TimmerB123
Posted: Sunday, June 22, 2014 8:41:08 AM

TheHutts wrote:

Quote:
29 points, Yuuzhan Vong

Special Abilities
Unique

Commander Effect

Quote:

Thank GOD she doesn't have stealth!!! That would make her an 11. She SHOULD be vulnerable to being killed pretty easily. She's still harder to kill than Lobot, it does take a 30 damage shot with a higher attack to kill her. Anytime you open a door with Lobot, you have to be equally careful (if not more-so).

I do think early on in her design, it was suggested that she have stealth. We quickly realized how insane that would be, plug and play with Nom Anor.

It's tough creating a piece that was meant to compete with Lobot. She actually turned out stronger than I wanted her to (I was one of the designers on this set). The others kept saying - but if she doesn't havve at least these certain things: (fill in the blank), I'd never play her over Lobot. Well Lobot is EASILY one of the best pieces in the game. So to compete with that you have to do something awesome.

Graham, you nailed it in that it was specific intent to have a non-heresy option to Lobot (no droids or cyborgs in the Vong!) That was a long time coming. But she was one of the toughest design balances we had in vset 7.

It's funny - as a designer, you have to compromise and pick your fights all the time. There were others fighting for her not to have outsider. I entrenched myself and swore this was a fight I would not give up on. If it had to be THE fight, I would make it so. It would be wrong not to have her with outsider on so many levels. Frankly, I didn't want her Vong at all. I wanted her to be NR w/ Vong afinity., or at least Fringe - with boosts that would encourage her to be played with Vong. But I lost that battle. So she had to have outsider. HAD TO. She could have gotten so stupid otherwise, not to mention SHE WASN'T YUUZHAN VONG! She was a human, who was USED by the Vong, and they disposed of her when she was no longer useful. She WAS an OUTSIDER.

Anyway - I digress. My hope was for her to be an option for Vong purisits, fun or themed games, etc. She ended up being a top tier competitive piece, but thank goodness she didn't get STEALTH or not have OUTSIDER. Bullet dodged there.
kezzamachine
Posted: Sunday, June 22, 2014 1:11:16 PM

Man, whoever came up with the idea for that piece must be truly amazing. And modest.
TheHutts
Posted: Sunday, June 22, 2014 2:22:20 PM

Luke Skywalker, Hero of Yavin, from Alliance and Empire

Quote:
35 points, Rebel
Hit Points: 60
Attack: 8

Special Abilities
Unique
Pilot
Deadly Attack (Scores a critical hit on an attack roll of natural 19 or 20)
Double Attack (On his turn, this character can make 1 extra attack instead of moving)
Flurry Attack (Whenever this character scores a critical hit, he can make 1 immediate extra attack)
Twin Attack (Whenever this character attacks, he makes 1 extra attack against the same target)

Force Powers
Force 3
Lightsaber Deflect (Force 1: When hit by a nonmelee attack, this character takes no damage with a save of 11)

Luke Hero of Yavin was the first medium based shooter to have double and twin attack - arguably a significant milestone, as subsequent double/twin shooters like Rex, Dash Renegade Smuggler, and Cad Bane have all featured heavily in top tier teams. Luke HoY, however, is much less of a beast - he's constrained by his 60 hit points, his +8 attack, and although he can pick up evade and GMA via Rieekan and the TBSV, it doesn't come built in. He does have some interesting other abilities - with Deadly and Flurry, with force points to reroll, he is likely to get some extra attacks along the way - while Pilot allows him to pick up CEs like the Klaatoinian Captain's Speed 8 and Evade, and Jon 'Dutch' Vander's bonuses against adjacent enemies.

As a follower with double, twin, and pilot, he does have some interesting potential - if a Rebel attack boost came out, he might become more viable. But right now he's one of the weaker Rebel Lukes - the 60 hit points and +8 attack aren't strong enough to make him worthwhile, and Dash Renegade Smuggler is going to be a better piece in most situations, as well as the fact that using this Luke precludes you from using other strong pieces like Luke Rebel Commando and Luke Hero of Endor. Hero of Yavin has enough interesting abilities to build a fun squad around, but he can't bulls-eye Womp Rats as well as he claims he can in his flavour text. 5/10.
TheHutts
Posted: Sunday, June 22, 2014 6:54:56 PM

Master K'Kruhk, from Jedi Academy

Quote:
52 points, Republic
Hit Points: 150
Defense: 20
Attack: 12
Damage: 30

Special Abilities
Unique
Avoid Defeat (Whenever this character would be defeated, make 2 saves, each needing 11; if both succeed, this character has 10 Hit Points instead of being defeated)

Force Powers
Force 4
Force Heal 20 (Force 2, replaces attacks: touch; remove 20 damage from a living character)
Force Leap (Force 1: This turn, this character can move through enemy characters without provoking attacks of opportunity)
Lightsaber Deflect (Force 1: When hit by a nonmelee attack, this character takes no damage with a save of 11)

Let's make a list:

Pros:
- 150 hit points
- 30 base damage
- Avoid Defeat

Cons (given that he's a 52 point piece):
- low attack
- only 30 damage on the move
- 60 damage maximum
- no force renewal
- lacklustre force powers

Overall, Master K'Kruhk is simply underwhelming for 52 points; the v-set New Republic K'Kruhk is only 34 points, has force renewal, and can do damage on the move with Leaping Assault, and is merely a decent competitive Jedi, which shows how overcosted this version is. For 51 points you can get Yobuck, for 55 points you can get GOWK, for 52 points you can get two Jedi Weapon Masters, and given those options there's no point in bringing K'Kruhk for 52 points. He's not quite the bottom of the pile, but he's way too expensive for what he does, despite a few excellent attributes, 2/10.