RegisterDonateLogin

Knows better than to trust a strange computer.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Rolling Mini of the Day (Urai Fen) Options
TheHutts
Posted: Monday, June 23, 2014 3:08:14 PM
Groups: Member

Jaster Mereel, from Destiny of the Force

Quote:
54 points, Mandalorian
Hit Points: 80
Defense: 17
Attack: 11
Damage: 20

Special Abilities
Unique
Double Attack (On his turn, this character can make 1 extra attack instead of moving)
Mandalorian Reinforcements 30 (During setup, after seeing your opponent's squad, you can add up to 30 points of non-Unique Mandalorians whose name does not contain Death Watch)
Synergy (A character whose name contains Jango Fett counts as Mandalorian when in the same squad as this character. A character whose name contains Jango Fett gets +4 Attack and +4 Defense while within 6 squares of this character.)

Commander Effect
Each follower within 6 squares can make 1 immediate attack when defeated.

Jaster was a much trumpeted addition to the meta - with his death shot CE, he gives Mandos a chance against the Lancer, while his reinforcements 30 also allows squad customisation, while he's a decent enough shooter as well, given everything else he can do. His CE is really helped by Kelborn's Relay Orders and Coordinated Command - since a lot of good Mandalorian pieces are cloaked, having a cloaked source of Relay Orders is really useful, so that your Mouse Droids don't just get picked off. Among other things, Reinforcements 30 can be useful to choose between the Mandalorian Captain and the Mandalorian Scientist - the Captain is usually the better piece, but the Scientist means that 10 damage pieces can keep twinning against Bastila.

On a less competitive note, it's also fun to run Jaster with Jango Fett, Assassin in Mandalorians to take advanage of Jaster's synergy - you can have Jango with twin and a +20 attack against living enemies in a Mandalorian squad.

Jaster is certainly a significant piece for the Mandalorians, even though he hasn't featured in many Regional winning squads - it was the core of Kelborn, Mandalore the Vindicated, and Fenn Shysa that the Mandalorians were most successful with last year. Even so, he's still a key piece and worth considering for many Mandalorian builds - squads built around Jaster Mereel made the Top 4 in the NZ Nationals in 2012, and 2nd in the Chicago Regional in 2013. 9/10.
TheHutts
Posted: Monday, June 23, 2014 5:37:52 PM

Darth Nihl, from Legacy of the Force

Quote:
42 points, Sith
Hit Points: 120
Defense: 20
Attack: 12

Special Abilities
Unique
Flurry Attack (Whenever this character scores a critical hit, he can make 1 immediate extra attack)
Melee Reach 2 (When attacking, this character treats enemies up to 2 squares away as adjacent)
Melee Attack (Can attack only adjacent enemies)
Double Attack (On his turn, this character can make 1 extra attack instead of moving)

Force Powers
Force 4
Force Lightning 1 (Force 1, replaces attacks: range 6; 20 damage)
Lightsaber Deflect (Force 1: When hit by a nonmelee attack, this character takes no damage with a save of 11)

Commander Effect
Each follower within 6 squares gains Flurry Attack.

Darth Nihl is getting a remake in the upcoming v-set Shadows - a good call, since this original iteration is thoroughly mediocre. For 42 points, a +12 double attack just feels too light, especially as he can only do 20 damage on the move, and his additional abilities don't do enough to compensate for it. Melee Reach 2 is useful enough, but Flurry Attack on 20 is so niche that you could go an entire game without it occurring and his weak commander effect prevents him from receiving other CEs.

I don't know what the WOTC designers had against the Sith - they did get some interesting pieces, but most of their options seem overly expensive for what they do, and Darth Nihl is no exception; 2/10. Cool looking sculpt though.
DARPH NADER
Posted: Monday, June 23, 2014 5:39:27 PM

One of my favorite v-set pieces, with all of the new pieces I would think we'll see the Mando death shots resurface at some point. He's too good to ignore.
TimmerB123
Posted: Tuesday, June 24, 2014 8:36:59 AM

TheHutts wrote:

Quote:
54 points, Mandalorian

Special Abilities
Unique
Mandalorian Reinforcements 30 (During setup, after seeing your opponent's squad, you can add up to 30 points of non-Unique Mandalorians whose name does not contain Death Watch)
Synergy (A character whose name contains Jango Fett counts as Mandalorian when in the same squad as this character. A character whose name contains Jango Fett gets +4 Attack and +4 Defense while within 6 squares of this character.)

Commander Effect

Jaster was a much trumpeted addition to the meta - with his death shot CE, he gives Mandos a chance against the Lancer, while his reinforcements 30 also allows squad customisation, while he's a decent enough shooter as well, given everything else he can do. His CE is really helped by Kelborn's Relay Orders and Coordinated Command - since a lot of good Mandalorian pieces are cloaked, having a cloaked source of Relay Orders is really useful, so that your Mouse Droids don't just get picked off. Among other things, Reinforcements 30 can be useful to choose between the Mandalorian Captain and the Mandalorian Scientist - the Captain is usually the better piece, but the Scientist means that 10 damage pieces can keep twinning against Bastila.

On a less competitive note, it's also fun to run Jaster with Jango Fett, Assassin in Mandalorians to take advanage of Jaster's synergy - you can have Jango with twin and a +20 attack against living enemies in a Mandalorian squad.

Jaster is certainly a significant piece for the Mandalorians, even though he hasn't featured in many Regional winning squads - it was the core of Kelborn, Mandalore the Vindicated, and Fenn Shysa that the Mandalorians were most successful with last year - he's still a key piece and worth considering for many Mandalorian builds. 9/10.

*cough* ahem.

Second place at Chicago Regional last year (and a map roll -or- 1 placement mistake away from winning it)

--We don't go on Patrols-
54 Jaster Mereel
28 Kelborn
24 Mandalorian Tactician
23 Mandalorian Captain
38 Mandalorian Scout x2
16 Mandalorian Gunsmith
8 R7 Astromech Droid
6 Mouse Droid x2
3 Ugnaught Demolitionist

(200pts. 11 activations)
TheHutts
Posted: Tuesday, June 24, 2014 12:45:00 PM

Oops - I'd forgotten about that. He did place 4th in the NZ Nationals in 2012 too, so I guess he has some significant success. Upping him to a 10.
TimmerB123
Posted: Tuesday, June 24, 2014 1:32:51 PM

TheHutts wrote:
Oops - I'd forgotten about that. He did place 4th in the NZ Nationals in 2012 too, so I guess he has some significant success. Upping him to a 10.

I didn't necessarily think that a 9 was inaccurate, so much as the notion that he hasn't had any success in the last year or 2 was.
Sthlrd2
Posted: Tuesday, June 24, 2014 1:43:22 PM

TimmerB123 wrote:
TheHutts wrote:

Quote:
54 points, Mandalorian

Special Abilities
Unique

Commander Effect

Jaster is certainly a significant piece for the Mandalorians, even though he hasn't featured in many Regional winning squads - it was the core of Kelborn, Mandalore the Vindicated, and Fenn Shysa that the Mandalorians were most successful with last year - he's still a key piece and worth considering for many Mandalorian builds. 9/10.

*cough* ahem.

Second place at Chicago Regional last year (and a map roll -or- 1 placement mistake away from winning it)

54 Jaster Mereel
28 Kelborn
24 Mandalorian Tactician
23 Mandalorian Captain
38 Mandalorian Scout x2
16 Mandalorian Gunsmith
8 R7 Astromech Droid
6 Mouse Droid x2
3 Ugnaught Demolitionist

(200pts. 11 activations)

Excuse me? A map roll away? You won map and we played on your map that had cover all over the place. The placement mistake is debateable as we really have no idea what would have happened. I saw your placement mistake since round 1 and took advantage of it. With no placement mistake my plan would have been different. While we technechally don't know how it would have unfolded, I'll give you that. But I cant give you the map roll response.
TimmerB123
Posted: Tuesday, June 24, 2014 2:32:35 PM

Sthlrd2 wrote:
TimmerB123 wrote:
TheHutts wrote:

Quote:
54 points, Mandalorian

Special Abilities
Unique

Commander Effect

*cough* ahem.

54 Jaster Mereel
28 Kelborn
24 Mandalorian Tactician
23 Mandalorian Captain
38 Mandalorian Scout x2
16 Mandalorian Gunsmith
8 R7 Astromech Droid
6 Mouse Droid x2
3 Ugnaught Demolitionist

(200pts. 11 activations)

Excuse me? A map roll away? You won map and we played on your map that had cover all over the place. The placement mistake is debateable as we really have no idea what would have happened. I saw your placement mistake since round 1 and took advantage of it. With no placement mistake my plan would have been different. While we technechally don't know how it would have unfolded, I'll give you that. But I cant give you the map roll response.

Remembered the map roll part wrong. The placement error was huge, and all I had to do wwas move 1 grunt 1 square and you could not have done your big move, which was what won you the game. The game ended up still being close, and it wouldn't have otherwise.
TheHutts
Posted: Tuesday, June 24, 2014 3:08:58 PM

Princess Leia, Hoth Commander, from Bounty Hunters

Quote:
19 points, Rebel
Hit Points: 50
Defense: 14
Attack: 7

Special Abilities
Unique
Advantageous Attack (+10 Damage against an enemy who has not activated this round)
Mobile Attack (Can move both before and after attacking)
Force Powers
Force 2

Commander Effect
Whenever a non-Unique ally would be defeated, with a save of 16, it instead immediately returns to play with full Hit Points.

Alliance and Empire's Princess Leia is the premier Rebel Leia in the game, winning three consecutive GenCon championships. but Leia Hoth Commander's resurrection CE makes her an interesting piece to build around in some squads. It certainly doesn't work in every squad - I think even in something like a Rodian Brute swarm, where they need to make a save of 16 to come back, you're just better off with 6 or 7 more Rodian Brutes in the base squad instead of Leia. Her best use is arguably with the SpecForce Wilderness Fighters from Command of the Galaxy - with their Survival Expert Special Ability, they only need to roll 12s to come back, and with Rieekan they only need 7s for their Evade saves, which in effect makes them the cockroaches of SWM. Darth O has also come up with a fun build with Felcors and Force Spirits, where the Felcors have rerolls and mettle to help them come back:

Quote:
--The Felcors That Just Don't Die...--
104 Felucian Warrior on Rancor x2
20 Yoda, Force Spirit
19 Princess Leia, Hoth Commander
15 Jabba, Crime Lord
14 General Rieekan
12 Anakin Skywalker, Force Spirit
8 R7 Astromech Droid
5 Jawa
3 Mouse Droid
(200pts. 10 activations)

Don't forget that you can use Leia Rebel Commando's Versatility to give Leia Hoth Commander an extra ability too, either Cunning Attack, Stealth, or Accurate Shot. I don't know if she's quite top tier, but you can build some useful little squads around Princess Leia Hoth Commander, 8/10.
TimmerB123
Posted: Tuesday, June 24, 2014 5:40:58 PM

TheHutts wrote:
I don't know if she's quite top tier, but you can build some useful little squads around Princess Leia Hoth Commander, 8/10.

What!?!

Ummm - no.

This has to be the biggest disagreement on a rating so far. 3-4. 5 tops. Only for fun squads.
TheHutts
Posted: Tuesday, June 24, 2014 6:49:46 PM

Have you played against the Wilderness Fighters, Rieekan, SpecForce Crix, and Leia? By herself, I agree that she's more of a gimmicky 4-5 piece, but with the Survival Expert on the Wilderness Fighters, they're coming back half the time - there's enough synergy there that it gets nasty. That's mainly what I'm thinking about with the 8 for Leia - I've played against it, and I think it could do well enough at a tournament - it's hard for some squads to chew through 50 hit point pieces which evade on a 7 and come back to life on a 12.

The squad has its weaknesses - it's vulnerable to Bastila since it's so reliant on CEs, and the Fighters aren't heavy damage dealers - but I think lots of decent squads would have trouble chewing through all those hit points, evade saves, and avoid defeat saves.
TheHutts
Posted: Tuesday, June 24, 2014 7:01:39 PM

Houjix, from Masters of the Force

Quote:
21 points, Fringe
Hit Points: 90
Defense: 15

Special Abilities
Dejarik
Melee Attack (Can attack only adjacent enemies)
Bodyguard (If an adjacent ally would take damage from an attack, this character can take the damage instead)

Despite WOTC power creep, the final WOTC set, Masters of the Force, was one of the weaker sets overall, with 8 of its 40 slots taken up by underwhelming Dejarik pieces. But of the Dejariks, the Houjix is generally regarded as the strongest, a 90 hit point bodyguard, who has shown up in the odd competitive squad, such as Crazy Houjix, which placed in the top half of the field in GenCon 2011.

Quote:
54 Cad Bane
49 The Jedi Exile
33 Bastila, JM
28 Dash Rendar
21 Houjix
9 Mouse Droid x3
6 Ugnaught Demolitionist x2

Because of its large base, the Houjix can bodyguard 12 squares, which is kind of cool. These days though, I think Ponda Baba, Galactic Criminal is the best Fringe bodyguard going - he has a very similar hit points/cost ratio, and he can also pick off fodder since he's a shooter. Ponda can be bought in by Lobot, whereas the Houjix has to be mainlined into squads most of the time, and can be weak against area abilities like Unleash the Force and Lightning. Bodyguard is a really strong ability though, and 90 hit points of Bodyguard can come in very useful, 7/10.

TheHutts
Posted: Tuesday, June 24, 2014 8:11:17 PM

Deena Shan, from Legacy of the Force

Quote:
12 points, Rebel
Hit Points: 30
Defense: 18
Attack: 5
Damage: 10

Special Abilities
Unique
Disruptive (Suppresses enemy commander effects within 6 squares)
Stealth (If this character has cover, she does not count as the nearest enemy for an attacker farther than 6 squares when choosing targets)

One of the more redundant figures out there, Deena Shan emerged one set after Juno Eclipse; both are Rebel pieces in a similar price range, with Disruptive and very similar hit points and stats. Deena does have the advantage of Stealth, and a much higher defense, but Juno gets all the play since she's 4 points cheaper. Deena would be a strong option in some other factions, but she's mostly redundant in Rebels, unless you really want to employ double disruptive (and even then General Crix Madine is another uber strong piece with Disruptive who's a really good option if you're playing any other Commandos). Deena would probably deserve an 8 in another faction, as cheap Disruptive is very useful, but with Juno around she's barely going to see any table time in Rebels. 5/10.
CorranHornsux123
Posted: Tuesday, June 24, 2014 8:56:07 PM

TimmerB123 wrote:
TheHutts wrote:
I don't know if she's quite top tier, but you can build some useful little squads around Princess Leia Hoth Commander, 8/10.

What!?!

Ummm - no.

This has to be the biggest disagreement on a rating so far. 3-4. 5 tops. Only for fun squads.

I agree with huts on this one I mean isn't that y we play minis is for fun and the love of the game? Pearsonally I don't go to tournaments becaus of all the OP squads there I my self like playing for fun and enjoying the company of my other mini friends. Ask DarhO, pego, even spry I've played vassal with them I played squads I'm we're gonna get annihilated from the start because they were fun squads to play like Leia with a bunch of rebel commandos and crix. Sorry if u read it as an attack I assure u it's not I just bothered me because people rate the pieces on not how fun they are but how good and OP they ca make them for the tournament scene.
TheHutts
Posted: Tuesday, June 24, 2014 9:02:12 PM

Overall I am rating pieces on how strong they are - I just think the Wilderness Fighter/Leia Hoth Commander squad is actually a reasonably strong build.
CorranHornsux123
Posted: Tuesday, June 24, 2014 9:02:45 PM

TheHutts wrote:
Overall I am rating pieces on how strong they are - I just think the Wilderness Fighter/Leia Hoth Commander squad is actually a reasonably strong build.

I agree
thereisnotry
Posted: Wednesday, June 25, 2014 7:53:39 AM

TheHutts wrote:

Despite WOTC power creep, the final WOTC set, Masters of the Force, was one of the weaker sets overall, with 8 of its 40 slots taken up by underwhelming Dejarik pieces. But of the Dejariks, the Houjix is generally regarded as the strongest, a 90 hit point bodyguard, who has shown up in the odd competitive squad, such as Crazy Houjix, which placed in the top half of the field in GenCon 2011.

Quote:
54 Cad Bane
49 The Jedi Exile
33 Bastila, JM
28 Dash Rendar
21 Houjix
9 Mouse Droid x3

Because of its large base, the Houjix can bodyguard 12 squares, which is kind of cool. These days though, I think Ponda Baba, Galactic Criminal is the best Fringe bodyguard going - he has a very similar hit points/cost ratio, and he can also pick off fodder since he's a shooter. Ponda can be bought in by Lobot, whereas the Houjix has to be mainlined into squads most of the time, and can be weak against area abilities like Unleash the Force and Lightning. Bodyguard is a really strong ability though, and 90 hit points of Bodyguard can come in very useful, 7/10.
This one was played by Ricky Heck, the same guy who won it all last year. That year we met in the Swiss rounds, and I was playing Solo Charge. He played it really well, with the Houjix bodyguarding a LOT of damage and keeping me from really making much progress vs his squad, while he had some amped-up quad-attackers (6-attackers w the Exile's CE) putting all of my pieces in danger. I brought in a Felucian with my reinforcements, which I sent in to die. That allowed me to toss Anakin up there to Unleash the Force. The thing is, I was 1 square away from losing the game. At the time I was wondering whether I should place Anakin in one spot, where he'd get certain pieces, or another spot where he'd affect other pieces, including the Exile. I had completely forgotten about the Exile's Force Defense power. I happened to guess correctly, so that the Exile was 7 squares away from him when he UTF'ed, and so I won the match; however, if I had gotten greedy and tried to hit the Exile too, then Ricky would've Force Defensed me and won the game. It was a very memorable match, and I won it with a single accidentally-good decision.
pegolego
Posted: Wednesday, June 25, 2014 8:12:18 AM

That's why I LOVE Force Defense lol
TimmerB123
Posted: Wednesday, June 25, 2014 8:14:40 AM

thereisnotry wrote:
TheHutts wrote:

Quote:
54 Cad Bane
49 The Jedi Exile
33 Bastila, JM
28 Dash Rendar
21 Houjix
9 Mouse Droid x3

This one was played by Ricky Heck, the same guy who won it all last year. That year we met in the Swiss rounds, and I was playing Solo Charge. He played it really well, with the Houjix bodyguarding a LOT of damage and keeping me from really making much progress vs his squad, while he had some amped-up quad-attackers (6-attackers w the Exile's CE) putting all of my pieces in danger. I brought in a Felucian with my reinforcements, which I sent in to die. That allowed me to toss Anakin up there to Unleash the Force. The thing is, I was 1 square away from losing the game. At the time I was wondering whether I should place Anakin in one spot, where he'd get certain pieces, or another spot where he'd affect other pieces, including the Exile. I had completely forgotten about the Exile's Force Defense power. I happened to guess correctly, so that the Exile was 7 squares away from him when he UTF'ed, and so I won the match; however, if I had gotten greedy and tried to hit the Exile too, then Ricky would've Force Defensed me and won the game. It was a very memorable match, and I won it with a single accidentally-good decision.

I don't know if Ricky played it after that - but I'm pretty sure Reuben from Alaska played it. I remember Deri faced it.
fingersandteeth
Posted: Wednesday, June 25, 2014 8:23:54 AM

Yeah, i actually lost to it. Got hasty and attacked before i'd done significant damage to the Hojix rather than spending a couple of rounds shooting it with Han.

160 dmg from both Cad and Dash was too much to overcome.