RegisterDonateLogin

Kind of like a fusion of IG-88 and HK-47, but more Bloo.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Rolling Mini of the Day (Urai Fen) Options
TheHutts
Posted: Monday, September 1, 2014 8:14:10 PM
Groups: Member

R2-D2 and C-3PO, Galactic Heroes, from Renegades and Rogues

Quote:
22 points, New Republic
Hit Points: 60
Defense: 16
Attack: 0
Damage: 0

Special Abilities
Unique
Droid (Immune to critical hits; not subject to commander effects)
Blaster Upgrade (Allies within 6 squares with nonmelee attacks that deal exactly 10 Damage gain Twin Attack)
Bodyguard (If an adjacent ally would take damage from an attack, this character can take the damage instead)
Disruptive (Suppresses enemy commander effects within 6 squares)
Regeneration 10 (If this character doesn't move on his turn, remove 10 damage from him at the end of that turn)
Relay Orders (Each allied commander can count distance from this character as well as from itself for the purpose of commander effects)

Disruptive is a signature ability for the New Republic, and R2-D2 and C-3PO, Galactic Heroes offer it a different price point. At only 22 points, they're substantially cheaper than the New Republic's other competitive Disruptive options, notably Han Solo Galactic Hero at 50 points. As well as Disruptive, they also bring other useful abilities to the table - they offer Bodyguard, Relay Orders, and a robust source of Blaster Upgrade. Blaster Upgrade has seen them as a popular choice in Jan Ors/Kyle Katarn squads, where both pieces gain Twin, while there are plenty of other good pieces who benefit from a robust source of Twin, including Rohlan Dyre, Mara Jade Smugger, Greedo Bounty Hunter, and Galactic Alliance Special Guards. Relay Orders can work in well with squads where the Twi'lek Black Sun Vigo is giving out Greater Mobile Attack, as the TBSV also gains Twin. Regeneration 10 may seem weak, but it does synergise well with Bodyguard - the droids can take a hit for another piece, then get their hit points back. Notably, they are missing Override, but it's straightforward to bring in Lobot or an R7 to make up for it.

This squad made the Top 8 in GenCon at 2013, using Blaster Upgrade to provide twin for Kyle and Jan:
Quote:
--Luke's Heroes--
48 Luke Skywalker, Galactic Hero
31 Kyle Katarn
29 Ganner Rhysode
27 Lobot
22 R2-D2 and C-3PO, Galactic Heroes
18 Jan Ors
10 Jagged Fel
9 General Dodonna
6 Ugnaught Demolitionist x2
(200pts. 10 activations)

R2-D2 and C-3PO, Galactic Heroes is a really nice design, that opens up new builds for the New Republic, 10/10.

TheHutts
Posted: Wednesday, September 3, 2014 2:47:30 PM

Sith Knight, from Scum and Villainy

Quote:
20 points, Sith
Hit Points: 60
Defense: 17
Attack: 8
Damage: 20

Special Abilities
Melee Attack (Can attack only adjacent enemies)

Force Powers
Force 2
Dispassionate Killer (Force 1: +4 Attack and +20 Damage until the end of this character's turn. At the end of that turn, make a save of 11. If the save fails, this character is immediately defeated.)
Lightsaber Block (Force 1: When hit by a melee attack, this character takes no damage with a save of 11)

Dispassionate Killer on a relatively cheap piece is an interesting proposition, as there's not so much at stake when you utilise it. But it does feel like the Sith Knight is underpowered - even with Dispassionate Killer, he's still only doing 40 damage on a single +12 attack. That's not a huge return, when there's a 50/50 chance that he'll be defeated at the end of the turn, as well as a 50/50 chance that the attack will miss against a 22 defense piece and a 50/50 chance it will be stopped by a save if he's attacking someone with Parry, Block or Defense. It feels like the Sith Knight has some potential, but currently doesn't have the support to make him a viable competitive piece - he can get +10 damage from Bandon easily, but other boosts like Extra Attack and attack boosts are expensive in Sith. You could set up a couple of Sith Knights with Bandon and Wicket for Traps to hit pieces at +16 for 50, but it's still not the most efficient combo. There's no reason why Sith Knights couldn't get a further boost down the line, with a specific commander, but right now they're underwhelming, 3/10.
TheHutts
Posted: Thursday, September 4, 2014 1:38:08 PM

Shaak Ti, from Revenge of the Sith

Quote:
24 points, Republic
Hit Points: 70
Defense: 19
Attack: 12

Special Abilities
Unique
Crowd Fighting (This character gets +2 Attack for every adjacent character other than her target)
Stealth (If this character has cover, she does not count as the nearest enemy for an attacker farther than 6 squares when choosing targets)

Force Powers
Force 3
Lightsaber Sweep (Force 1, replaces attacks: Can attack each adjacent enemy once)
Force Leap (Force 1: This turn, this character can move through enemy characters without provoking attacks of opportunity)

I know Shaak Ti doesn't look great next to a Jedi Weapon Master - for two extra points you get double attack, lightsaber assault/duelist/block/deflect, 20 extra hit points, and riposte - but Stealth is a big asset, and it makes her better than most Jedi of her era. Obviously she's limited on attack - she's not really worthwhile if she can't utilise her Sweep - but Sweep does synergise well with Crowd Fighting. There are obviously better options in a Republic Jedi squad - Aayla Secura, Jedi Knight also has Stealth and Sweep, along with a lot of other useful abilities - but Shaak Ti might occasionally sneak into a Tier 3 Master Yoda squad. 3/10.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Thursday, September 4, 2014 4:39:30 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

It's a good sculpt but 4 is pretty generous for a piece that "might" find its way into a tier 3 squad. 2. 3 if you're generous.

Do you happen to have all these ratings compiled? They're much more useful than the average rating here on bloomilk.
AndyHatton
Posted: Thursday, September 4, 2014 4:42:43 PM

I love that Shaak Ti so much. She is awful, but her sculpt is great and she was one of the first Rares I ever got. Such a soft spot for her. We need a new Shaak Ti
TheHutts
Posted: Thursday, September 4, 2014 5:08:29 PM

FlyingArrow wrote:
It's a good sculpt but 4 is pretty generous for a piece that "might" find its way into a tier 3 squad. 2. 3 if you're generous.

Do you happen to have all these ratings compiled? They're much more useful than the average rating here on bloomilk.

I took her down to a 3 - I think a 3 is fine - she does have Stealth, which is alone is enough to make her somewhat useful IMO. I do think she's a better piece than the Sith Knight, so that went down to 3 as well.

Yup, I have a spreadsheet with all of them. Obviously ratings make more sense if they're all done around the same time, and I just don't give every chase WOTC Sith piece 10/10. I could paste them all somewhere, but it would be a long thread, and I have gone back and adjusted the odd rating recently.
TheHutts
Posted: Thursday, September 4, 2014 5:10:11 PM

Rattataki Warrior, from Galactic Heroes

Quote:
18 points, Fringe
Hit Points: 40
Defense: 15
Attack: 7

Special Abilities
Bloodthirsty (+10 Damage on melee attacks against enemies at half Hit Points or less)
Death Strike (+10 Damage against an enemy that is adjacent to an allied character)
Twin Blaster 10 (Replaces attacks: sight; make 2 attacks against 1 target at +8 Attack and 10 Damage. These count as nonmelee attacks.)

Force Powers
Force 1

What are the chances that Revenge of the Sith Shaak Ti is a stronger piece than the two v-set pieces covered either side of her? Take that v-set haters!

The Rattataki Warrior isn't without possibilities, but 18 points is too much to pay for a very fragile melee piece. I think its one redeeming option is in Republic where he can use Tarpals to Twin Blaster twice - if you can set up Death Strike, and get his attack up, he might start to become an interesting option. But otherwise he's a very weak piece for the cost - he really needs an attack boost and a movement breaker to be even halfway playable, 3/10.
TheHutts
Posted: Friday, September 5, 2014 8:15:19 PM

Spaarti Clone Trooper Demolitionist, from Destiny of the Force

Quote:
5 points, Republic
Hit Points: 10
Defense: 12
Attack: 3
Damage: 10

Special Abilities
Order 66
Rookie (This character gets +2 Attack and +2 Defense while within 6 squares of an allied commander)
Satchel Charge (Replaces attacks: Designate 1 adjacent door as open; it remains open for the rest of the skirmish and cannot be closed)

There's no good thematic reason to have an Ugnaught in every single squad ever, so the v-sets have tried to provide alternative door control options for each faction. The Spaarti is the Republic's door control option - it's 5 points, so it's pricier than the Ugnaught Demolitionist, but it provides a lot more options. Since it's non-melee, it can shoot and combine fire, and with its Rookie bonus, it's attack gets to +5, so it should be able to hit fodder some of the time. With a medium base, Panaka can swap it, to blow a key door. It's also subject to plenty of Republic CEs, like Queen Amidala's rapport and mobile, as well as deathshots.

The designers did a great job with the Spaarti - it's strong enough that it gets plenty of game time, and often Republic players will run a mix of Spaartis and Ugnaughts for door control. 10/10.
TheHutts
Posted: Sunday, September 7, 2014 3:03:46 PM

Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi Negotiator, from Jedi vs Sith

Quote:
62 points, Republic
Hit Points: 120
Defense: 22
Attack: 15

Special Abilities
Unique
Double Attack (On his turn, this character can make 1 extra attack instead of moving)
Advantageous Attack (+10 Damage against an enemy who has not activated this round)
Aggressive Negotiations (This character is considered to have Diplomat until it makes an attack or is targeted by an enemy character. Characters with Ambush, Backlash, or It's a Trap! can ignore this ability for the purpose of attacking this character.)
Camaraderie (An ally whose name contains Anakin Skywalker gains Advantageous Attack)
Mettle (If this character spends 1 Force point to reroll, add +4 to the result)
Soresu Style Mastery (When hit by an attack, this character takes no damage with a save of 11)

Force Powers
Force 5
Force Heal 20 (Force 2, replaces attacks: touch; remove 20 damage from a living character)
Force Leap (Force 1: This turn, this character can move through enemy characters without provoking attacks of opportunity)
Force Sense (Force 1, usable only on this character's turn: Enemy characters lose Stealth for the rest of the round)
Lightsaber Assault (Force 1, replaces attacks: Make 2 attacks)

Obi-Wan Kenobi Jedi Negotiator hasn't seen a whole lot of use, but I've lost to him personally, and he's a tough cookie. Like GOWK, he has the Mettle/Soresu Style Mastery combination, but unlike GOWK he doesn't have Force Renewal or Master of Force 2. He can pick up Force Renewal from Qui-Gon Jinn Force Spirit, but with the additional 16 points, you're up to 78 points, and 23 points more expensive than GOWK. But this Obi-Wan does have some interesting things going for him - with Advantageous Attack and Lightsaber Assault, he can do 60 damage on the move. He also has Aggressive Negotiations, which means that he's effectively a Diplomat until he makes an attack, or he gets shot by a Treadwell Droid. He also hands out Advantageous Attack to Anakin Skywalkers - the 38 point Anakin Chosen One from the same set is an obvious pairing.

In New Zealand, Sharron has done well with a squad featuring Obi, along with Anakin Chosen One, Qui-Gon Force Spirit, Captain Tarpals, and Dr Evazan Galactic Criminal - Dr Evazan can drop 60 damage on a piece late in the round, then Qui-Gon wins initiative, and Evazan does it again, while Obi benefits from Qui-Gon's force renewal and provides tough melee interference.

Obi Jedi Negotiator is a strong piece - he's pricey, especially since you'll generally run him with Qui-Gon, and the Qui-Gon/Obi combo is 78 points, but we've certainly seen his squads do well in New Zealand, and I wouldn't overlook him, 8/10.

TheHutts
Posted: Sunday, September 7, 2014 8:10:56 PM

Visas Marr, from Knights of the Old Republic

Quote:
29 points, Old Republic
Hit Points: 90
Attack: 10

Special Abilities
Unique
Double Attack (On her turn, this character can make 1 extra attack instead of moving)
Bodyguard (If an adjacent ally would take damage from an attack, this character can take the damage instead)
Flurry Attack (Whenever this character scores a critical hit, she can make 1 immediate extra attack)
It's a Trap! (Enemies with Stealth within 6 squares lose Stealth)

Force Powers
Force 3
Force Sense (Force 1, usable only on this character's turn: Enemy characters lose Stealth for the rest of the round)
Lightsaber Block (Force 1: When hit by a melee attack, this character takes no damage with a save of 11)

The Old Republic have a lot of really good Jedi around Visas Marr's price point - Jedi Battlemasters, Jedi Seers, Jedi Diplomats, and Covenant Protectors, as well as the new Green Jedi, are all strong options. Visas Marr has some very useful abilities; she's a good match with shooters with her anti-Stealth abilities - Force Sense AND It's A Trap - while Bodyguard is always handy for spreading damage around. But unfortunately she's missing any form of ranged defense, which is generally required for melee pieces to be effective. If she had Stealth, she'd be a very strong piece, but without it, she's an interesting utility piece who's unlikely to see much competitive play. 6/10.
Mando
Posted: Monday, September 8, 2014 10:00:00 AM

TheHutts wrote:

Quote:
29 points, Old Republic

Special Abilities
Unique
Double Attack (On her turn, this character can make 1 extra attack instead of moving)
Flurry Attack (Whenever this character scores a critical hit, she can make 1 immediate extra attack)

Force Powers
Force 3

The Old Republic have a lot of really good Jedi around Visas Marr's price point - Jedi Battlemasters, Jedi Seers, Jedi Diplomats, and Covenant Protectors, as well as the new Green Jedi, are all strong options. Visas Marr has some very useful abilities; she's a good match with shooters with her anti-Stealth abilities - Force Sense AND It's A Trap - while Bodyguard is always handy for spreading damage around. But unfortunately she's missing any form of ranged defense, which is generally required for melee pieces to be effective. If she had Stealth, she'd be a good piece, but without it, she's merely an interesting utility piece who won't see any competitive play. 5/10.

I took her to a regional a couple years back and did quite well with her. I was running an OR shooter squad with HK-47, IG-88 assasin droid, the old Guri and Bastilla. Having a 90hp bodyguard is very usefull and her force sense is very good to for a shooter based squad. I'd rate her a 7/10 because I think Bodyguard is such a useful ability and not many have 90hp to chew through.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Monday, September 8, 2014 10:31:40 AM

That's a good point. Another reason she's a good bodyguard: her defense. Many bodyguards have a low defense so that it really just means the opponent has to kill the bodyguard first. She has one of the highest BG defenses, which means it might not be any easier to go after her than to go after whoever she is bodyguarding. You run into the issue that Satele is only 8 points more with a lot more power. So unless you really need those 8 points somewhere else or you are actually running both, Satele would be the better choice.

Still, she's such a unique combination of abilities that I can definitely see her finding a unique spot in a Tier 1 build for that reason. I can't think of that build right now, but I believe it's there somewhere. I'd say 6.
AndyHatton
Posted: Monday, September 8, 2014 11:13:12 AM

I think her uses have just diminished and is going to be fighting for a spot in OR squads with so many good pieces around her point level. I think she used to be a LOT better and more appealing but has just gone down in value slightly. I do think a 5/10 is tad low, a 6 or 7 seems good to me.
TheHutts
Posted: Monday, September 8, 2014 12:38:23 PM

OK - I've taken her up to a 6. She might be handy in an Arkanian Jedi General/Old Republic Trooper squad - she can bodyguard the AJG, and get rid of stealth.

TheHutts
Posted: Monday, September 8, 2014 2:35:04 PM

Ephant Mon, from Alliance and Empire

Quote:
Defense: 14
Attack: 5

Special Abilities
Unique
Mighty Swing (On his turn, if this character doesn't move, he gets +10 Damage against adjacent enemies)
Speed 4 (Can move only 4 squares and attack, or 8 squares without attacking)

Commander Effect
Enemies with Accurate Shot who have cover can be targeted by Fringe followers within 6 squares of this character, even if those enemies are not the nearest.

I thought the Talz Chieftain's CE was convoluted and niche, but Ephant Mon's is even worse - it allows Fringe followers to target enemies with accurate shot, even if they have cover. The emergence of Talon Kardde squads does give Ephant Mon a chance to see some play - since you'll probably be running a bunch of Fringe followers who can shoot, he might be a worthwhile Lobot reinforcement choice if your opponent is running a big accurate shooter like Boba Fett Assassin for Hire or Mandalore the Resurrector. It's such a niche situation though - unless you run Talon Kardde all the time, you're going to end up with a huge Lobot reinforcement box if you bring along every single little niche piece like Ephant Mon, 3/10.
Boris
Posted: Monday, September 8, 2014 2:44:59 PM

Stumbled on this thread for the first time today and read through all 40 pages. It was very insightful. I resisted logging in until I finished because I really wanted to defend some of the decisions made - Satele Shan in particular - but I didn't want to get too distracted.

@Tim: Satele's design is based on a synopsis provided to me about her character in TOR, how she rushed to someone's aid and defended him just as he was about to be attacked. I'm sorry you think it was a "sixth-grade fanboyish design" or whatever it was you said, but I stand by the iteration of the piece. I've often compared her to Jango Fett Bounty Hunter, a potentially great piece in the hands of a player who understands how she works, and total junk in the hands of anyone else.

Not every power piece is (or should be) apparent just by reading the card. It's one of the things that makes game designing so fun, when players find ways to use pieces that seem mediocre and make them fun/competitive (or both).

Moving on, I also enjoyed seeing the links to threads of yesteryear. It's easy to complain about NPE's until you've really tried them out. A lot of things look worse on paper than they really are.

Specifically, I wanted to reference this:

TheHutts wrote:

Quote:
29 points, Old Republic

Special Abilities
Unique

Force Powers
Force 3

The Old Republic have a lot of really good Jedi around Visas Marr's price point - Jedi Battlemasters, Jedi Seers, Jedi Diplomats, and Covenant Protectors, as well as the new Green Jedi, are all strong options. Visas Marr has some very useful abilities; she's a good match with shooters with her anti-Stealth abilities - Force Sense AND It's A Trap - while Bodyguard is always handy for spreading damage around. But unfortunately she's missing any form of ranged defense, which is generally required for melee pieces to be effective. If she had Stealth, she'd be a very strong piece, but without it, she's an interesting utility piece who's unlikely to see much competitive play. 6/10.

I used Visas Marr on a Sith squad with Darth Whatshisname who had affinity for her, along with Sith Bastila and Sith Zannah. I ended up winning the tournament partly thanks to lucky init rolls but also because a 90 hp bodyguard protecting 3 figures is amazing. 6 is a good score before considering her role in a sith squad.
TheHutts
Posted: Monday, September 8, 2014 5:34:37 PM

Thanks for the nice words Boris. Ferus Olin is one of my favourite pieces (although objectively, he's more like an 8 or 9 on this scale), so I can see how a similar bodyguard would work well in Sith.

Kel Dor Bounty Hunter, from Legacy of the Force

Quote:
13 points, Fringe
Defense: 15
Attack: 12
Damage: 10

Special Abilities
Bounty Hunter +4 (+4 Attack against Unique enemies)
Self-Destruct 40 (When this character is defeated, each adjacent character takes 40 damage)
Stealth (If this character has cover, it does not count as the nearest enemy for an attacker farther than 6 squares when choosing targets)

One of the strongest non-uniques that Wizards made, the Kel Dor has a bunch of great stuff. Most notably, Self Destruct 40 is huge, as no one wants to take a 40 damage hit, and it can't be stopped by Disruptive. The Kel Dor also has Stealth, which allows it access to super-stealth. And the Kel Dor's also a good shooter with a +12 attack and Bounty Hunter +4, although the 10 base damage means that it's only really a minor annoyance unless it gets a boost from somewhere.

The Kel Dor has some major possibilities, but you can't just plonk one on the table and expect your opponent to take 40 damage - unless your opponent is playing all melee, you really need a way to trigger them yourself. There are plenty of ways to do so - the Muun Tactics Broker allows you to blow up one each initiative, transfer essence pieces can transfer into them, force powers like Master Thon's Repulse and Lord Kaan's thought bomb can trigger them, Joruus C'Baoth can trigger their self-destrct with his CE. Alternatively, you can go the super stealth route, so that the opponent can't kill them unless they get adjacent - Moff Nyna Calixte in Imperials, Nom Anor in Vong, and Arfan Ramos in Old Republic are good options. Stealth also allows them access to the Nautolan Black Sun Vigo and Black Sun CEs.

To some extent they have been eclipsed by the Klat Assassins, which are better shooters with their Jedi Hatred and 20 base damage, as well as Cloaked, but there are still plenty of things you can do with Kel Dor Bounty Hunters - un-Disruptable Self Destruct 40 is a major threat on a 13 point piece. 9/10.
TimmerB123
Posted: Tuesday, September 9, 2014 4:59:23 AM

TheHutts wrote:
Ephant Mon, from Alliance and Empire

Quote:
Defense: 14
Attack: 5

Special Abilities
Unique
Mighty Swing (On his turn, if this character doesn't move, he gets +10 Damage against adjacent enemies)
Speed 4 (Can move only 4 squares and attack, or 8 squares without attacking)

Commander Effect
Enemies with Accurate Shot who have cover can be targeted by Fringe followers within 6 squares of this character, even if those enemies are not the nearest.

I thought the Talz Chieftain's CE was convoluted and niche, but Ephant Mon's is even worse - it allows Fringe followers to target enemies with accurate shot, even if they have cover. The emergence of Talon Kardde squads does give Ephant Mon a chance to see some play - since you'll probably be running a bunch of Fringe followers who can shoot, he might be a worthwhile Lobot reinforcement choice if your opponent is running a big accurate shooter like Boba Fett Assassin for Hire or Mandalore the Resurrector. It's such a niche situation though - unless you run Talon Kardde all the time, you're going to end up with a huge Lobot reinforcement box if you bring along every single little niche piece like Ephant Mon, 3/10.

I think 3/10 is an accurate rating. (Accurate - ha!) But one thing I've always found interesting about him is that he effects all targeting. So you can "accurate" missiles, grenades, flame thrower etc. Always thought he was very unique in that way.
TheHutts
Posted: Tuesday, September 9, 2014 1:24:19 PM

Luke Skywalker, Jedi, from Knights of the Old Republic

Quote:
29 points, Rebel
Defense: 18

Special Abilities
Unique
Double Attack (On his turn, this character can make 1 extra attack instead of moving)
Djem So Style (Whenever this character is hit by a melee attack, make a save of 11. On a success, this character can make an immediate attack against that attacker.)
Flurry Attack (Whenever this character scores a critical hit, he can make 1 immediate extra attack)

Force Powers
Force 2
Force Renewal 1 (This character gets 1 Force point each time he activates)
Knight Speed (Force 1: This character can move 4 extra squares on his turn as part of his move)
Lightsaber Deflect (Force 1: When hit by a nonmelee attack, this character takes no damage with a save of 11)

It's difficult for a 29 point Rebel Luke to see play, as it's up against Luke Skywalker Rebel Commando, a very strong movement breaker for the Rebels, and a power 11 piece. So Luke Jedi, in a similar price niche and with similar abilities, is unlikely to see much play. He's actually a decent enough piece - 90 hit points, with Djem So, block, and deflect, is respectable enough for 29 points. He does also have weaknesses - he can't do more than 20 damage on the move, and his attack of 10 is low and difficult to boost - Biggs and Jon 'Dutch' Vander is the easiest option. Luke Skywalker, Jedi, is a competent piece, but any discussion on him is purely academic with Luke Rebel Commando running around, 6/10.
Echo24
Posted: Tuesday, September 9, 2014 1:41:31 PM

I liked playing Luke Jedi right when he came out. Block+Deflect (basically Lightsaber Defense before Lightsaber Defense was a thing) was a strong combination.