RegisterDonateLogin

Adventure. Heh! Excitement. Heh! Bloo Milk craves not these things.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Vor'en Chalco's Customs Options
Teller
Posted: Friday, August 23, 2013 11:37:19 PM
Groups: Member

These are amazing! Love Grievous
Voren_Chalco
Posted: Monday, September 9, 2013 12:30:10 AM

I've updated the photos for the last batch. They're less shiny now.
Also added Desann, Rattataki Warrior, Urai Fen, Elite Mandalorian Marauder and Mandalore on Basilisk

And my Bones miniatures kickstarter batch finally arrived

Plenty of custom fodder to work through.
SignerJ
Posted: Monday, September 9, 2013 3:35:10 AM

What piece(s) did you use to make the Jedi Exile?
Voren_Chalco
Posted: Monday, September 9, 2013 6:39:31 AM

SignerJ wrote:
What piece(s) did you use to make the Jedi Exile?

A Stass Allie with greenstuff hair and a lightsaber swap.
Voren_Chalco
Posted: Monday, September 30, 2013 11:35:01 PM

Added Saba Sebatyne, Cad Bane, BH, Crix Madine SpecForce Commander, General Lando Calrissian, Rakghoul Warrior and Veteran Snowtrooper.
Voren_Chalco
Posted: Thursday, June 5, 2014 6:32:24 PM

Wow, 9 months since the last update. I finally got some time to do more customs.
Added Krynda Draay, Mirith Sinn, Domain Shai Subaltern, YV Ossus Protector, Vestara Khai and Spacetrooper.
Voren_Chalco
Posted: Saturday, September 13, 2014 9:39:31 PM

Added Wuher, Jango Fett, Assassin, Sev'rance Tann, Reborn Shadowtrooper, ARC Trooper Scout and GA Special Forces Trooper. Also added a new Kal Skirata (in his Bantha hide jacket).
kobayashimaru
Posted: Sunday, September 14, 2014 3:40:59 AM

Wow! You've done it again! BigGrin
Dang they're awesome...

So, when are you getting to the Bones minis/other kickstarter figs?
Also... any more vehicles in the pipelines? I think looking at the near 140 odd figures you've done, you'd surely almost be running out of people and characters to make? BigGrin
Voren_Chalco
Posted: Sunday, September 14, 2014 8:58:51 PM

kobayashimaru wrote:
Wow! You've done it again! BigGrin
Dang they're awesome...

Thanks. This last lot took a while, so i'm happy they turned out so well.

kobayashimaru wrote:
So, when are you getting to the Bones minis/other kickstarter figs?

I've used a couple already, for Cad Bane and Vestara Khai. It takes a bit more effort since I don't have a database or anything to look through, and a lot of them are fantasy pieces that are too hard to transform. I'll end up looking through them for a specific character at a time, so a few more might pop up soon.

kobayashimaru wrote:
Also... any more vehicles in the pipelines? I think looking at the near 140 odd figures you've done, you'd surely almost be running out of people and characters to make? BigGrin

I'm just working through the V-Sets at the moment. My count has it at 169 Uniques (and 144 non-Uniques), but that includes some repeating of characters (a couple Vaders, Lukes and Obi-Wans to name a few) and that's only 55.87% of V-set pieces (I haven't even touched on the last 2 sets yet), so inspiration is still there. The Vehicles of War mini set should provide a few Large base vehicles, and there's probably an AT-RT coming in the near future (since I don't own a single official one).
kobayashimaru
Posted: Monday, September 15, 2014 5:45:31 AM

Voren,
you might like to skip the 'official' floppy ATRT and go straight for the cheaper better stuff:
the Deagostini ATRT is better IMHO and is $20USD incl Shipping from UK atm.
it's twice the height of the WotC ATRT, is made from detailed pewter, and looks cooler.

Otherwise, that's great news all round heh! BigGrin
Darthbane53
Posted: Monday, September 15, 2014 5:00:02 PM

Wow have your skills improved over the years! Stuff is looking great! Keep painting!
Voren_Chalco
Posted: Monday, October 27, 2014 9:38:50 PM

Added JM Jorus C'Baoth; Luke Skywalker GH; Talon Karrde, IB; Luuke Skywalker; Umbaran Soldier; Bothan Spymaster and Mando Sergeant.

This lot took a little longer than I hoped. Following kobayashimaru's question last time, I set myself the challenge of using only Bones pieces for a batch (with some additions from other sources, like heads and hands). The white plastic makes it easy to see how much greenstuff I tend to use for my customs:

If anyone has ideas on how to do the screen on the front of the Umbaran's helmets, it would be greatly appreciated.
kobayashimaru
Posted: Tuesday, October 28, 2014 3:33:59 AM

Howdy!
Those are looking awesome WIPs from the bones stuff! They'll look great once painted!

As to the visors:
if you have any friends with a 3D printer in home, that have translucent filament, running off a couple C shaped bits of plastic wouldnt be too much trouble for em. BigGrin (i dont have any filaments other than black or tan atm).

maybe a blue sprite bottle or ticktac corner? It depends on how much curve material you need... alternately you can get coloured OHTs still, and cellophane with PVAglue carefully applied would dry clear. Cellophane would be a little experimental, maybe two layers thick?
alternately, you could just bend the cellophane over the face, and then if at all possible, tack and glue the corners (so as not to get glue on the face part of the visor) and build the helmet up over the top of that... (if that makes sense?).
I'm just swapping cellophane into a bunch of the how-to guides on capes from W40K, which also showed how to do 'HUD's with cellophane for lighting effects.
Lego Visors/Megablocks have some nice small coloured parts also.

Hopefully that helps: I use the cellophane and crepe trick for internally lighting borg vessels for STAW: it makes nice diffusion of colours and is easily built into the design at the printing stage.
Any plans to make Jastus Farr or Pong Krell? Those two are hard to find in the custom community, and Jastus Farr would double nicely as 'generic jedi brute'.
Any plans for aliens at this time on the horizon?

EDIT: awesome news on the upcoming minis front! Its great to see how the bones figures have turned out once painted!
In terms of ideas for achieving that clear helmet...
There are some interesting thermoplastics - I dunno how they'd get on with the vinyls, but "Worbla's Finest Art" are squares of clear thermoplastic that you can heat up and shape;
perfect as alternate mould materials (if only it flowed better) or for getting odd angles
while they're in that ~90degree range, apply the worbla using a spatula to the umbarran helmet (so as to still get shaping, but no flaming/spontaneous combustion of your mini)
It will set hard and clear, not quite crystal. From there, you'd just have to use some transparent tamiyas (or thinned washes of your choosing).
I've only in the last 18months been using Worbla's, for aircraft canopies and for 'main deflector' parts for people's lightup projects. Its great stuff BigGrin
Voren_Chalco
Posted: Tuesday, October 28, 2014 8:03:12 PM

Thanks for the advice on the visor. I was considering making a wrap around, but I'm not sure how well it will hold it's shape at that size. Worth a shot at least. The painted versions (minus the Umbaran visors, of course) are up in the first post now.

Krell has a V-Set piece, so he'll come up as soon as I figure out how to make him. I hadn't considered Farr, but I do really like the Purge story, so I might look into him. I've been looking for characters that need slightly larger base pieces, so he might be my next extra.
Voren_Chalco
Posted: Tuesday, April 21, 2015 10:09:01 PM

Added Demagol, Alto Stratus, Viqi Shesh, Chiss Captain, Padawan Commander and AoL Jedi Lord.

I couldn't find a single angle to best show off Stratus, so here's a second shot
Lily_Wan
Posted: Wednesday, April 22, 2015 6:21:22 AM

Love your conversions. Demagol, Viqi and the Padawan Cmdr are my new favs.
Voren_Chalco
Posted: Wednesday, April 22, 2015 6:47:00 PM

Thanks Lily. The Padawan was actually a late addition to this group. I planned a Sion, but it wasn't working and when I was looking at the Jabiim story for Stratus reference shots, Elora jumped out at me.
Voren_Chalco
Posted: Friday, May 15, 2015 3:08:55 AM

Added Pre Vizsla, Han Solo, Admiral Ackbar, Mirialan Jedi Knight, OR Rookie, Ravenous Vornskr and Domain Shai Warrior.

The paint quality isn't quite as good as I'd have liked; my matte varnish decided to start leaving a residue when it dried. It's slightly noticeable on the last batch too, and I tried to wipe off excess this time, but it didn't quite work. It's especially annoying given the time some of them took to get right, especially Pre Vizsla
kobayashimaru
Posted: Friday, May 15, 2015 5:45:31 AM

My computer died from loading too much awesome (mainly just from all the pictures on one page)
the new customs look FANTASTIC!

How are you making the lightsabers? printer filament? whippersnipper cord? 1mm diameter tubing?
its great, and I keep asking because each time its a little different, (and Im running out of colors other than light fluro green, green, blue or red hehehe).

Pre Vizla would also double as an awesome Montross Proxy, for those who don't follow the 3D show's canon. BigGrin
excellent work again, voren.
Voren_Chalco
Posted: Friday, May 15, 2015 4:11:45 PM

Thanks, other than the varnish residue, I'm pretty happy with this batch. I was trying to fill gaps in older V-Sets (Ackbar in particular, I've had the pieces sitting out to make him for about a year), so they scratched my completist itch.

The lightsabers are plastic coated twist ties (the larger ones from the Clone Wars Battle Pack) coloured with permanent markers. I only have blue, green and red at the moment, though, because I can't remember where I stored the rest of them.

Hmm, I only made Pre Vizsla as a V-Set proxy (the aforementioned completist mindset), I'm not a fan of how the show treated Mandos either. I didn't play much of Bounty Hunter, so I didn't even think of Montross, but that's how I'll think of the piece now. Much better idea.