RegisterDonateLogin

Nom Anor says, "It's da bomb!"

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Restricted List 2025 Season Discussion and Opinions Options
Caedus
Posted: Monday, September 23, 2024 7:52:37 AM
Groups: Member

Hello Everyone and Congratulations on another season of SWM!!!!

It is that time of the year again when I want to hear from YOU! Yes you! No not the person beside you. YOU!!!!
Flapper Flapper

Let me know what you all would like to see. Do you have Pipe Dream Map. Let me know. Something that has been off for a while? Something that should be thrown out, never to return? Let me know
spryguy1981
Posted: Monday, September 23, 2024 8:34:12 AM

Maps that haven't been on rotation in awhile
Bothan Spynet
Peaceful City
Anchorhead
Cliffside Citadel

Maps that would be a change
Sith Temple
Mercenary Base
Marooned Starship
urbanjedi
Posted: Monday, September 23, 2024 9:02:12 AM

Remote listening post probably needs to go

The map made a mockery of the finals of vassal con as Bryan dinosaur with its t-Rex arms couldn’t fit down the one wide hallway to get my guys. And that was without anything crazy like diplomats or anything on my side blocking it up

thereisnotry
Posted: Monday, September 23, 2024 11:07:10 AM

I never want to see the Great Library used again. ThumbDown It's quite simply a cloaked shooter's paradise, and anything else might as well not show up.

Here are some of the maps I would see on the list again: ThumpUp
-Muun Grand Plaza (if we go with 1 oldie-but-goodie on the list each year, this one gets my vote)
-Anchorhead
-Asteroid Base
-Smuggler's Base
-Pirate's Moon NE (yes, North East)

AND...
The two new maps that Matt has been working on...both of them seemed really promising, the last time I looked. http://www.bloomilk.com/Forums/default.aspx?g=posts&t=32346

UrbanShmi
Posted: Monday, September 23, 2024 11:14:40 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

I like Cantina. Mostly because no one else does.

Good with Asteroid Base or Anchorhead coming back.

Desert Palace was cool, but maybe it needs a few more seasons off.
Overley28
Posted: Monday, September 23, 2024 11:25:49 AM

A few that look interesting to me:

Mos Eisley Residence (favorite from the list)
Anchorhead
Peaceful City
Command Deck
Starport Terminal
Caedus
Posted: Monday, September 23, 2024 12:21:34 PM

thereisnotry wrote:
I never want to see the Great Library used again. ThumbDown It's quite simply a cloaked shooter's paradise, and anything else might as well not show up.

Here are some of the maps I would see on the list again: ThumpUp
-Muun Grand Plaza (if we go with 1 oldie-but-goodie on the list each year, this one gets my vote)
-Anchorhead
-Asteroid Base
-Smuggler's Base
-Pirate's Moon NE (yes, North East)

AND...
The two new maps that Matt has been working on...both of them seemed really promising, the last time I looked. http://www.bloomilk.com/Forums/default.aspx?g=posts&t=32346

I agree. "We will watch its career with GREAT interest." Woot Woot
Caedus
Posted: Monday, September 23, 2024 12:30:24 PM

Overley28 wrote:

Anchorhead
Peaceful City
Command Deck
Starport Terminal

Peaceful City-Would probably get me mugged at the next in person tournament

Starport Terminal-I wish I could delete all records of this map from the Jedi Archives
thereisnotry
Posted: Monday, September 23, 2024 1:04:40 PM

UrbanShmi wrote:
I like Cantina. Mostly because no one else does.

Good with Asteroid Base or Anchorhead coming back.

Desert Palace was cool, but maybe it needs a few more seasons off.

I'm in favor of Cantina too.
Jedicartographer
Posted: Monday, September 23, 2024 2:37:28 PM

Caedus wrote:
Overley28 wrote:

Anchorhead
Peaceful City
Command Deck
Starport Terminal

Starport Terminal-I wish I could delete all records of this map from the Jedi Archives

Is that because it’s been out of print for a while? The peaceful city? Its on my short list for a stretch goal reprint.
AceAce
Posted: Monday, September 23, 2024 2:57:26 PM

Most serious on my list:

OFFWORLD SHIPPING CENTER - I've always liked it and it's been on the list but not for a long time

ANCHORHEAD - Fun map. Everyone knows it.

MOS EISLEY RESIDENCE - Same, I like it but only one for the sand effect lol. It'd be nice to play some maps competitively that haven't been on.

PEACEFUL CITY - I'm always down for it.

SMUGGLER'S BASE - Not a bad map, been a minute

Level 2 on my list

STAR FORGE - Although it only takes a force push or repulse from somebody throwing something. It'd be nice to play some maps competitively that haven't been on.

OUTER RIM FUELING STATION - Looks like it'd be an equal shot to get to Gambit without getting mowed. It'd be nice to play some maps competitively that haven't been on.

ICE FORTRESS NORTH - Nice looking map, keep the ice theme alive and it looks pretty fair.
N3rdSl4y3r
Posted: Monday, September 23, 2024 6:28:01 PM

These are looking good to me:

Anchorhead
Peaceful City
Smuggler's Base
Jabba's Palace
Omega Citadel
Starport Terminal
Overley28
Posted: Tuesday, September 24, 2024 5:01:59 AM

Caedus wrote:
Overley28 wrote:

Anchorhead
Peaceful City
Command Deck
Starport Terminal

Just curious on the reasoning behind it? Was there a strong opposition to these or something previously? Peaceful city looks to have quite a few interested. Were they played and not very good before or something?

Also adding that I like Cantina as well based on UrbanShmi's comment.
From a few other comments - Smuggler's Base and Jabba's Palace I thought were good options as well.
Mando
Posted: Tuesday, September 24, 2024 9:24:04 AM

Cantina is a cloaked shooters paradise same as Great Library, so if we are concerned about that being an issue that is something to consider. Nightsisters are still very very good and with Daka you can't easily turn off their CE's now.
urbanjedi
Posted: Tuesday, September 24, 2024 2:36:42 PM

wrote:
Cantina is a cloaked shooters paradise same as Great Library,

I think the big walled off gambit areas for both sides make them quite different.

Library has basically no safe squares in gambit and can basically be shot from the starting areas, and you can almost shoot into each others starting areas from the start of the game with nearly any movement breaker.

Cantina has quite a few hiding spots and some nice advancement opportunities and the opponent has to some expose themselves at least a bit if they want to shoot into the gambit areas specifically. And for the most part you need a more major movement breaker (or just can't do it) on round 1.

urbanjedi
Posted: Tuesday, September 24, 2024 2:43:17 PM

starport terminal is kinda tough, because it can have some very interesting matches and games, but can also be a shooters paradise because with just a couple of doors open, there are some very long lines, so a rebel squad with R2 can override/Adv Door Gimmick and get some pretty good stuff and the opponent can sometimes struggle to deal with it.

I know lots of maps can have that problem, but it could be part of the reason.
Randy
Posted: Wednesday, September 25, 2024 6:59:56 AM

I agree with this...

urbanjedi wrote:
wrote:

I think the big walled off gambit areas for both sides make them quite different.

Library has basically no safe squares in gambit and can basically be shot from the starting areas, and you can almost shoot into each others starting areas from the start of the game with nearly any movement breaker.

Cantina has quite a few hiding spots and some nice advancement opportunities and the opponent has to some expose themselves at least a bit if they want to shoot into the gambit areas specifically. And for the most part you need a more major movement breaker (or just can't do it) on round 1.

I think that there should be good shooting options on the map list. A couple of years ago we had the "choke point" list. It impacted not only the meta, but I would say it effected some design choices as well. I played on Remote Listening Outpost in probably half my games this year. The Vassal version doesn't have very good resolution, but I think that as an in person map it is fine.

I don't think I played on Great Library at all this year. It has some issues, but I would not want it banished to the bin of darkness forever.

I will put forward the same 2 submissions I do every year... Hard board and Death Star. No hidey holes there. I have also always enjoyed the Hall of Judgement.

I think a redeeming feature of the Starport Terminal is that Melee don't get slowed down by a bunch of low or difficult terrain. The map can be very fast, and once again... No place to hide.

I have played very few games on Korriban from map pack 2. Matt just did a big write up on it on the Facebook. Might be a good one.

spryguy1981
Posted: Thursday, September 26, 2024 4:21:00 AM

Randy wrote:
I agree with this...

urbanjedi wrote:
wrote:

I think that there should be good shooting options on the map list. A couple of years ago we had the "choke point" list. It impacted not only the meta, but I would say it effected some design choices as well. I played on Remote Listening Outpost in probably half my games this year. The Vassal version doesn't have very good resolution, but I think that as an in person map it is fine.

I don't think I played on Great Library at all this year. It has some issues, but I would not want it banished to the bin of darkness forever.

I will put forward the same 2 submissions I do every year... Hard board and Death Star. No hidey holes there. I have also always enjoyed the Hall of Judgement.

I think a redeeming feature of the Starport Terminal is that Melee don't get slowed down by a bunch of low or difficult terrain. The map can be very fast, and once again... No place to hide.

I have played very few games on Korriban from map pack 2. Matt just did a big write up on it on the Facebook. Might be a good one.

Jawa's on Death Star, Hardboard, or Hall of Judgement? Shoot me now lol.
Jedicartographer
Posted: Friday, September 27, 2024 6:18:00 AM

urbanjedi wrote:
Remote listening post probably needs to go

The map made a mockery of the finals of vassal con as Bryan dinosaur with its t-Rex arms couldn’t fit down the one wide hallway to get my guys. And that was without anything crazy like diplomats or anything on my side blocking it up

Lol..One of y'all drew that floor plan. One of the 'top players" Aaron Brakeman If I remember correctly. Josh only did the art. And I only made the money ;-)

That's from a time when all the Gencon Winners drew out maps, right after we took over organized play after the official game ended. Bill Russel, Dean Miller, Aaron, Deri Morgan, I think a couple others. they all contributed layouts.

Jedicartographer
Posted: Friday, September 27, 2024 6:25:24 AM

I really enjoy reading this. I really want to thank you guys for doing all this after so long. This cheers me up.
Don't forget to pitch in for the new packs. If you want me to work up a special Bloomilk Package deal for the events next spring and summer, let me know.
I always say "this is the last map pack I'm doing" But then I see stuff like this. Maybe I can keep it going in some aspect. Maybe just doing a single double-sided poster a few times a year instead of a whole pack. Maybe you all draw out the floorpans, and I do the rest. All things we could do.
I get burnt out trying to make something good for the restricted list. It's stifles me sometimes. I kind of let it slide this last time, on most of it, although I tried to keep the principals in my mind on some of them. 2 or 3 of them might be winners down the road.