RegisterDonateLogin

Sometimes, Bloo Milk amazes even itself.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Maps/Promos Lists Options
cicrush13
Posted: Tuesday, September 28, 2010 3:14:06 AM
Groups: Member

Ok so I recently re-joined miniaturetrading.com and now see that they have a promos section and maps section under the collection of the user.

I for one would like a list of all of the promos available to see what they are and if I have/want them.
swinefeld
Posted: Tuesday, September 28, 2010 3:23:33 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

There is a thread on WotC that pretty much covers all the promos.
I'll link it here as soon as I find it again...

The Un-Official Promo Mini Checklist & Discussion Thread

There it is BlooMilk
cicrush13
Posted: Tuesday, September 28, 2010 3:34:35 AM

sweet thanks!
SuperYodaMan
Posted: Tuesday, September 28, 2010 1:54:49 PM

Promo minis? Never heard of them. Could someone explain to me why they're made (other than for promotional reasons, of course), where/when they were/are released, and what the difference is between the "official" minis and the "promo" ones? I guess I really never was one who understood promos like this...
swinefeld
Posted: Tuesday, September 28, 2010 11:33:46 PM

SuperYodaMan wrote:
Promo minis? Never heard of them. Could someone explain to me why they're made (other than for promotional reasons, of course), where/when they were/are released, and what the difference is between the "official" minis and the "promo" ones? I guess I really never was one who understood promos like this...

The thread I linked above will tell you a lot about them.

In general, promos are minis that WotC gave out as special prizes for tournaments or as league support. Many of them have a different paint job than those sold in boosters. Some only have different markings on the base (they have a promo logo rather than the set insignia and number). There is no difference in the stat cards.

Some of the repaints are very nicely done. You can see comparisons of many of them at Dantooine Base:

Promo Repaint/Original Comparison

SuperYodaMan
Posted: Wednesday, September 29, 2010 4:16:20 PM

swinefeld wrote:
In general, promos are minis that WotC gave out as special prizes for tournaments or as league support.

What exactly do you mean by "league support?"

BTW, I looked at that paint job comparison link you posted. I guess you have to be an avid collector to want promo figures if they have the same sats but different paint jobs because, quite honestly, I think the majority of the repaints are actually worse than the originals. Just my opinion. Now, if they were to take a poll of which minis people thought had the worst sculpts/paint jobs and re-released some of them as promos with new sculpts and repaints, then they might be a little bit more interesting. Of course, this can't happen any time soon, since Wizards gave up the license and rights to make SWMs. Sad
swinefeld
Posted: Wednesday, September 29, 2010 11:23:18 PM

SuperYodaMan wrote:
What exactly do you mean by "league support?"

WotC used to support the game at local stores by sending kits of goodies to give away to players. Promo minis, maps, posters and so on.
Lt_V
Posted: Thursday, September 30, 2010 2:35:24 AM

I have a few promo minis and a couple of the maps, it would be great to get some more but they will be a bit tougher to get now. The promo minis have the exact same card but the mini is painted differently and they usually are nicer (I really like my Gonk Droid's silver paint job) and the bottom has been stamped that it is a promo...it's sort of a 'treat' for the fans :)