RegisterDonateLogin

Slightly more stable than an AT-ST on a log trap.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Over the Top Modding Options
Jedicartographer
Posted: Wednesday, October 13, 2010 12:21:25 AM
Groups: Member

I worte a heartfelt response to the community turmoil lately. I used the word "blasted"

A mod took creative freedoms and changed it to blasted.It's really kind of ironic that a moderator would do this given the spirit of the thread.

Mods, c'mon I'd never use the word "blasted". Stop being so over the top. The micro-management by the mods here really makes me not want to post here anymore.

If you have a problem with the word "blasted", which blows my mind by the way, Change it to D^&% or something.

It's not like I said the F word. can you say F word?

I've been modded here more in 3 weeks then I ever got modded in 4 years anywhere else.

Al I am respecfully asking, are you modding because it persoanlly offends you, or do you think that people are actually offended by a PG rated word?
LoboStele
Posted: Wednesday, October 13, 2010 1:50:37 AM

Heh, Matt, for what it's worth, we used to have a full fledged censoring system in place over at Gamers which would have caught all those same words too. But it got screwed up in the Great Hacking of 2009, and never really got put back together again. I policed a few people on things early on, but then got chewed out by another mod for it, lol, so I backed off. In BM's defense, it IS much more younger-crowd-orientated than most sites, so I can understand them wanting to censor pretty much everything.
Sithborg
Posted: Wednesday, October 13, 2010 2:19:36 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

It is a filter. It automatically changes some words. Sadly, it isn't fully complete with the words I would like it to have. I'm sorry if you do not feel it is necessary, but when it was first started to be introduced, it was very, very necessary.
swinefeld
Posted: Wednesday, October 13, 2010 2:27:34 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Before I became a mod here (only 7 weeks as of tomorrow), I pretty much just trained myself to choose other words, even if the ones that first came to mind were only PG-rated. Heck, I generally do that on Gamers even though I could get away with it.

I think coarse (for lack of a better word) language would quickly be all over the place if we let it slide. I'm glad the filter is working again, as I'd rather not spend time making piddly edits for language.
kenred2
Posted: Wednesday, October 13, 2010 2:42:11 AM

As a previous mod for Bloomilk, I've informed many of the new mods that they should only edited out words that are offensive to the viewers, not words that are assumed offensive (such as acronyms and to me, they are fine)

Since new mods are put in place, they have the opportunity to learn
bkchi
Posted: Wednesday, October 13, 2010 2:49:56 AM

poopie

LOL
swinefeld
Posted: Wednesday, October 13, 2010 3:10:47 AM

bkchi wrote:
poopie

LOL

Words that a 3-year old kid would say are generally safe. Wink
bkchi
Posted: Wednesday, October 13, 2010 4:31:26 AM

swinefeld wrote:
bkchi wrote:
poopie

LOL

I hope that goes for guys like me with the maturity of a 3 year old.
swinefeld
Posted: Wednesday, October 13, 2010 5:40:31 AM

bkchi wrote:
swinefeld wrote:
bkchi wrote:
poopie

LOL

I hope that goes for guys like me with the maturity of a 3 year old.

Laugh
eMouse
Posted: Saturday, October 16, 2010 1:14:09 AM

Jedicartographer wrote:
I worte a heartfelt response to the community turmoil lately. I used the word "blasted"

A mod took creative freedoms and changed it to blasted.It's really kind of ironic that a moderator would do this given the spirit of the thread.

I can assure you 100% that it's the automatic language filter.
jedispyder
Posted: Saturday, October 16, 2010 2:51:02 AM

So I really wonder what word was changed to based. Just did some investigation and I'm pretty confused by the filter. It removes the "d" word but keeps the "f" and "s" word. That's how a filter fails, take the most innocent of the Top 3 cuss words and change it but not the Top 2 cuss words (both of which were posted perfectly fine).

I remember years ago when I created my own message board (I was a victim of peer pressure, lol) I had fun with what words would get filtered to other things. It was very amusing...
swinefeld
Posted: Saturday, October 16, 2010 4:37:23 AM

jedispyder wrote:
So I really wonder what word was changed to based. Just did some investigation and I'm pretty confused by the filter. It removes the "d" word but keeps the "f" and "s" word. That's how a filter fails, take the most innocent of the Top 3 cuss words and change it but not the Top 2 cuss words (both of which were posted perfectly fine).

I remember years ago when I created my own message board (I was a victim of peer pressure, lol) I had fun with what words would get filtered to other things. It was very amusing...

I assume you are talking specifically about forum posts.

I will let Shinja know the filter isn't working properly.
(I haven't tested it yet myself, but will check it out)
jedispyder
Posted: Saturday, October 16, 2010 7:06:07 AM

Yep, when I made that post I include a lot of different cuss words to see which would change. I of course edited them all out after seeing what they ended up. I had a fear I wouldn't edit fast enough and mod would ban me for that, lol.
eMouse
Posted: Saturday, October 16, 2010 7:44:25 AM

jedispyder wrote:

Years ago I was on a CounterStrike server that for some reason censored the word 'stream'.
Sithborg
Posted: Saturday, October 16, 2010 8:37:59 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

The filter is working properly. It just wasn't given a complete list of words to change, as I am pretty certain all heck broke loose shortly after he showed it to the mods.
jedispyder
Posted: Saturday, October 16, 2010 6:17:35 PM

Oh, I knew it was working since it changed blasted into blasted. It just didn't change any of the worse words into anything else, which I found funny ;)