RegisterDonateLogin

Statement: HK-47 believes Bloo Milk may allow meatbags to compete on his level.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Restricted List 2025 Season Discussion and Opinions Options
thereisnotry
Posted: Friday, September 27, 2024 9:03:17 AM
Groups: Member

Your maps always look gorgeous. Perhaps we can get some people together to put together some ideas for new map layouts. I'd be very interested in this.
DarthMaim
Posted: Friday, September 27, 2024 9:36:03 AM

Jedicartographer wrote:
I really enjoy reading this. I really want to thank you guys for doing all this after so long. This cheers me up.
Don't forget to pitch in for the new packs. If you want me to work up a special Bloomilk Package deal for the events next spring and summer, let me know.
I always say "this is the last map pack I'm doing" But then I see stuff like this. Maybe I can keep it going in some aspect. Maybe just doing a single double-sided poster a few times a year instead of a whole pack. Maybe you all draw out the floorpans, and I do the rest. All things we could do.
I get burnt out trying to make something good for the restricted list. It's stifles me sometimes. I kind of let it slide this last time, on most of it, although I tried to keep the principals in my mind on some of them. 2 or 3 of them might be winners down the road.

"Impressive. Most impressive!" Sums up what your work and contributions have been to SW minis over the years. New maps go hand in hand with creating new virtual sets and generates freshness, enthusiasm, and excitement to our beloved game. Thank you for doing what you have done for decades. You "cheer" us up with doing new maps. If you are not in the SW minis hall of fame, you should be. Thanks for all your dedication and excellence in your map work for SW minis!

Cheers BlooMilk BlooMilk BlooMilk
FlyingArrow
Posted: Friday, September 27, 2024 8:55:46 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

My thoughts on the restricted list are the same each year:

One WotC
Multiple well known established maps
Something new enough that it's still in print
Something that we haven't seen in a long time (or ever) on the list
AceAce
Posted: Saturday, September 28, 2024 5:03:45 AM

I actually like Remote Listening Outpost. Nice looking and fun to play. We're talking about a single matchup, find another write-up from this past year that said it was a problem. Sometimes a tailored squad is neutered in ways not seen or are possible to see in advance.
DarkDracul
Posted: Saturday, September 28, 2024 9:06:24 AM

Drac’s Suggestions for 2025

1. I need a better view of the maps, but I think 1 or 2 of the maps from Matt Francella’s
Map Pack 9: Wildspace Outpost will be suitable for the restricted list.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/armoredcartographers/mattsmaps-sci-fi-adventure-kit/posts
2. Starport Terminal
3. Frigid Outpost
4. Dark Academy
5. Asteroid Base
6. Grand Plaza - Munnilist Grand Plaza

Drac’s 2024 Map List Verdict

Commander’s Office - Ravaged Base
The best of the WotC maps, in my opinion. This map should regularly cycle onto the restricted list. The only reason it comes off is to prevent things from becoming stale and boring.

Remote Listening Post
If Peaceful City is excluded from the restricted list, then this map should be too. It features minimal safe areas for commanders and long lines of sight into opponent setup areas. The gambit area is entirely open to distant shooters and surrounded by low cover for rigged detonators. The edges offer quick access to an opponent’s backfield, with narrow and cumbersome passages. I’m not suggesting a permanent removal (I like Peaceful City), but these maps should rotate out for extended periods.

Frigid Outpost
Fantastic map! An improved version of the beloved Rhen Var Citadel map. Arguably the best in the game, it’s better for some squads than others, but overall well-balanced. This map should cycle in regularly and could be repeated for years without complaints.

Great Library
This map can be exploited by certain squads, but overall it’s fine. It features safe setup areas, limited lines of sight, and multiple approaches around the gambit zone. It can be a regularly featured map but probably shouldn’t appear consecutively or even every other year.

Starport District
A solid map. This one could come back every year or every other year if needed.

Pirated’s Moon SW
Passable map, but it should probably not return for 4 or 5 years. It’s a fun addition for something new and different, but it’s visually cluttered, with horrid approaches and an unprotected gambit zone.
Overley28
Posted: Saturday, September 28, 2024 12:30:49 PM

I will say, I think Grand Plaza somewhat resembles Great Library and a lot of complaints about great library could easily be applied to grand plaza.