RegisterDonateLogin

Bloo you up, boom! How wude.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Last Call ... surf_rider56's Customs Options
SquelchDog
Posted: Friday, August 3, 2012 2:38:45 PM
Groups: Member

Hey Surf, thanks for the Zombie Sith Lord. ThumpUp Way cool dude. You are the Man surf!!! ThumbsUp

Oh and @ kobayashimaru. Zombies are never done............that's the problem dude. They keep coming back.......muhahahahah!!! Tongue

Well I haven't read Dawn of the Jedi yet. So I'm not sure my input would be warranted. Although, off the top of my head isn't every character with a Force rating able to spend one Force point to move an extra four spaces? If that is the case then wouldn't Journeyer Speed be redundant? Just a thought. Maybe if that is truely the case you could give her a different Force Power. Cool

I just looked on my Nook, and I'm not sure if Dawn of the Jedi has been released yet as a Nook Comic. Is it in a certain Volume? Just wondering in case I just missed it.
surf_rider56
Posted: Saturday, August 4, 2012 9:47:38 AM

I'm actually not sure if you can spend Force pts for added movement. We've never done that in the games I've played. Is that part of the ol WOTC rulebook, or just a local House Rule? I'm certainly no rule expert.

I've got a friend who buys the comics; I read them after he does .... gotta get new EU stuff where you find it.

I may have some new stuff by tomorrow night; struggling with NOT making everything Fringe.
kobayashimaru
Posted: Saturday, August 4, 2012 8:01:04 PM

@Squelchy,
yeah, haha I suppose youre right (Best example I can think of is the original DOOM video game hahah)

@Surf,
I thought, unless a piece said force aesthetic SA, you could always use a force point to
a)re roll a failed save
or
b) move 2 extra spaces as part of your turn.

However, unless your piece has MotF 2 (or greater), it can leave your piece very vulnerable later in the round haha.
4 spaces would be Knight Speed, although Journyer Speed is the same thing (but from a different force tradition). BigGrin
SteveO or Sithborg would be better at explaining rules and such (feel free to chime in guys)

As to the tendency towards fringe-y-ness of customs, I think most of the SWU is predominantly fringe/unaligned. (it reflects modern socio-political climes, at a stretch I think).
It depends very much on context IMO, and what we conceive that fringe as a faction represents, but take Tatooine as example. Its nearly all fringe.
Manaan; deliberately neutral (fringe).
Hoth: remote, and from what we've seen, uninhabited (and therefore, terra nullius style, fringe?)
Consequently, it makes sense that most of the stats, which represent most of the universe, should be correspondingly fringe.
I think you can work around it by binding your character to a faction, but including an Affinity (SA) to some other sub-species or faction.

The diplomat SA, from a certain point of view, renders a piece as a new type of fringe piece (until it is targetted anyways)...

I also think the fringe changes depending upon juxtaposition, and composition of squad.
Could it be interesting to see a 3 faction squad, which falls apart as you play a 200pt game...
Sorta like a multi-mana deck in Magic the gathering (6 types of mana etc).

We know that certain events are likely to happen in a game (like, units being defeated, etc).
Maybe you can tinker with what fringe means, to come up with pieces that sorta are, sorta arent fringe? BigGrin
surf_rider56
Posted: Monday, August 6, 2012 7:01:51 PM

kobayashimaru wrote:

I think you can work around it by binding your character to a faction, but including an Affinity (SA) to some other sub-species or faction.

Making more pieces with Affinity ... interesting, if it doesn't start to crowd the card too much ....

kobayashimaru wrote:
Could it be interesting to see a 3 faction squad, which falls apart as you play a 200pt game...

Creating a SA that would allow this could be an interesting intellectual exercise ....

Maybe a Mando (natural Merc types) with Fringe and X faction ... or

A YV/Fringe group with Sith (thinking they can control/take over) .... hmmmm

kobayashimaru wrote:
Maybe you can tinker with what fringe means, to come up with pieces that sorta are, sorta arent fringe? BigGrin

This comment actually interests me more than anything else; a Fringe thats not fringe .... possibly an all Sub Faction squad? ..... Could a all Fringe group be good? I don't see why not ..... unless there's a rule I haven't heard against it ....

Well, no grandkid born this weekend and after spending most of the weekend doing the family thing, I had a free moment to finish up this first group. Rather than wait till it’s all done, I’ll do a few smaller groups over the next few days.
Mostly new species, sort of a request and the start of a small sub faction. Comments etc. welcome as always …..

Advozse Soldier taking a page from the Elite Gunner piece, a mercenary type that could paly either OR or Sith. To help people out, I’ve included pics of Both factions for the piece.

Old Republic Advozse Soldier

Sith Advozse Soldier

Arcona Salt Addct Didn’t actually make him a Cantina piece, but he would fit in there nicely. Cheap fodder piece.

Askajian Cantina Waitress A new species, and a girl who won’t take any crap from anybody; pretty much most waitresses I’ve known in life.

Elomin Assassin Another Elomin after breaking them last group. A variation on the typical assassin piece.

Huttesse Jedi Master Sort of a request. Supposedly Beldorion was the only known Hutt Jedi, hey, since when did That ever stop a customizer …..

Morseerian Fringer Finally found a Morseerian pic I liked enough to use; made him a Fringer to balance out the FRinger sub faction with the Spacer sub faction.

Ssi-ruu Warrior A new species, and the first of the new but small Ssi-ruu sub faction. I read Bakura so long ago, rather than reread it, I’m relying on Wook; anybody who remembers Bakura better please feel free to comment on them.

Vodran Bodyguard A new species and another addition to the Hutt Cartel sub faction.

Hope you all like the new pieces; maybe another 8 or so in another day or two. Comments, comments, my Republic for a comment! Cheers.
MaliciousCrumb
Posted: Monday, August 6, 2012 8:26:35 PM

I Like the idea of the Advozsec soldier and the Askajian Waitress. They are cool and fairly priced. The hutt jedi is also a good idea. I would think that the morseerian fringer could bring his damage up to 80 quite easily, though, with Thrawn or Yularen. Also, if you look at the Nautolan Soldier, he's quite undercosted. Quad attack is really fitting for a morseerian, but it's just his cost that could be bumped up.
surf_rider56
Posted: Monday, August 6, 2012 9:44:54 PM

MaliciousCrumb wrote:
I Like the idea of the Advozsec soldier and the Askajian Waitress. They are cool and fairly priced. The hutt jedi is also a good idea. I would think that the morseerian fringer could bring his damage up to 80 quite easily, though, with Thrawn or Yularen. Also, if you look at the Nautolan Soldier, he's quite undercosted. Quad attack is really fitting for a morseerian, but it's just his cost that could be bumped up.

I think the V-Set guys may have hit on something with either/or possibilities of a piece like the Elite Gunner. With the Morseerian, he such a glass blaster (not big enough to be a cannon) he'll get drilled long before he can really do anything like that.

I'm assuming you're talking about the Nautolan Sharpshooter. I like it when people make me revisit pieces months later. Looking at it now, I's say it might be closer costed at 15 instead of 9.
kobayashimaru
Posted: Tuesday, August 7, 2012 12:29:46 AM

@Surf,
Thanks for the feedback BigGrin
Let's take a look at abilities that are similar to what Fringe/faction does;
Savage,
Fragile
Mercenary,
Impulsive suite of abilities
Affinity,
Synergy,
Internal Strife,
Pawn of the Darkside
Order 66,
Fall to the Darkside (or words to that effect; its on Count Dooku Separatist Leader's piece)
Betrayal
Jedi Mind Trick/ Force Dominate
Persuade
Force Spirit
Dark Temptation
and finally
Diplomat.

Then there's also Lord Ball/ Surf's Clawdite/Shape Shifter ability...
Not to mention differing Terrain types - have we yet seen a character that also counts as a terrain type? (apart from line of sight and the cover mechanic?)
Im thinking that sith lord who is a black hole should count as a pit... haha

You could use these abilities/force powers as a guide for some mechanics Ideas...
Most of these effect targeting rules, and the others make risk evaluation: Should I attack with additional damage? Should I attack with this piece against that enemy, or risk my shooter changing sides...
Mechanically, you could discriminate against species like this:
Alien Brotherhood: This piece may not target aliens, regardless of faction or if the alien is on the opposition team.
I picture this for anti-droid hating fringers, since they could only target droids or humanoid stuff...

You could discriminate by card name;
Pacifist (Characters containing Soldier or Warrior may not be in this character's squad)
or Seething Hatred (no character containing Jedi or with Force Points may be in this character's squad)

You could also do stuff by other cutoffs, like when the squad size drops below a certain number of figures...
Every Man For Themselves: (when squad numbers 3 or less, this character will attack the nearest figure, regardless of
faction)
or I'll See You In Hell (This character immediately leaves the battlefield when there are no characters containing Soldier or Trooper etc left on the battlefield).

Or consider a Force Power which lets you alter terrain (deform on the fly) as you're playing a game? Itd be no worse than override... BigGrin Just build a room with pits in front of the door, you win! if someone locks you out of gambit or something, you could make the gambit zone a pit BigGrin

Or you could make terrain have different effects; difficult terrain grants Regeneration 20/heals units. Pits grant additional force renewal.

Or different species could "Bamf" between terrain types (star craft zerg style), im thinking the Neti and plant like...

You could even play with opponents choice, timing and order of operations BigGrin;
Time Bubble: characters in this square/ terrain type must activate last.

Ultimately, I think combining these abilities which already exist, will make some new rules. I think targeting, movement, reserves and faction could be areas of innovation. BigGrin
MaliciousCrumb
Posted: Tuesday, August 7, 2012 11:09:28 AM

surf_rider56 wrote:
MaliciousCrumb wrote:

I think the V-Set guys may have hit on something with either/or possibilities of a piece like the Elite Gunner. With the Morseerian, he such a glass blaster (not big enough to be a cannon) he'll get drilled long before he can really do anything like that.

I'm assuming you're talking about the Nautolan Sharpshooter. I like it when people make me revisit pieces months later. Looking at it now, I's say it might be closer costed at 15 instead of 9.

Actually, I meant the Nautolan Soldier. He has:

double attack
8 point cost
12 def
4 attack
10 damage
surf_rider56
Posted: Tuesday, August 7, 2012 1:01:39 PM

MaliciousCrumb wrote:
surf_rider56 wrote:
MaliciousCrumb wrote:

double attack
8 point cost
12 def
4 attack
10 damage

Ok, that's interesting ... I have no record of a "Nautolan Soldier" and I searched the whole thread! Hmmmmmm.....
AndyHatton
Posted: Tuesday, August 7, 2012 1:35:05 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

surf_rider56 wrote:
MaliciousCrumb wrote:
surf_rider56 wrote:
MaliciousCrumb wrote:

double attack
8 point cost
12 def
4 attack
10 damage

Ok, that's interesting ... I have no record of a "Nautolan Soldier" and I searched the whole thread! Hmmmmmm.....

Those stats and name refer to a piece from ROTS.
EDIT
I think Crumb means that morseerian is undercosted when compared to a WOTC piece like the Soldier. It was 2 more attacks, nearly the same stats and is half the cost.
MaliciousCrumb
Posted: Tuesday, August 7, 2012 2:44:09 PM

AndyHatton wrote:
surf_rider56 wrote:
MaliciousCrumb wrote:
surf_rider56 wrote:
MaliciousCrumb wrote:

double attack
8 point cost
12 def
4 attack
10 damage

Those stats and name refer to a piece from ROTS.
EDIT
I think Crumb means that morseerian is undercosted when compared to a WOTC piece like the Soldier. It was 2 more attacks, nearly the same stats and is half the cost.

Yep. I was talking about an official non-custom one.
surf_rider56
Posted: Tuesday, August 7, 2012 3:28:10 PM

Now that I Know what you're talking about ... Regarding the Nautolan, I never pay attention to the common's from the first couple of sets. To quote the MiniManager suggestion tab "These guys are a waste of plastic." The Nautolan isn't even worth a 4. Frankly, I'm not sure he's a 3. Since it's well known that waaaay to many pieces aren't worth the price, I'll stick to the 4; at worst a 5. If the Nautolan is really worth a 2.5 at best in my mind, the Morseerian is at a 4/5.

But hey, that's what the forum's are for, to get us talking ... I assume that you ment the Naut was Overcosted Crumb? I could see the Morseerian going to 5, but I hate to compare overcosted older pieces.

Shame is an idea about recosting the older pieces Officially fell through some time ago somewhere on these boards. I could see some pieces actually drop to 2 since they're so worthless .....
AndyHatton
Posted: Tuesday, August 7, 2012 5:13:37 PM

surf_rider56 wrote:
Now that I Know what you're talking about ... Regarding the Nautolan, I never pay attention to the common's from the first couple of sets. To quote the MiniManager suggestion tab "These guys are a waste of plastic." The Nautolan isn't even worth a 4. Frankly, I'm not sure he's a 3. Since it's well known that waaaay to many pieces aren't worth the price, I'll stick to the 4; at worst a 5. If the Nautolan is really worth a 2.5 at best in my mind, the Morseerian is at a 4/5.

But hey, that's what the forum's are for, to get us talking ... I assume that you ment the Naut was Overcosted Crumb? I could see the Morseerian going to 5, but I hate to compare overcosted older pieces.

Shame is an idea about recosting the older pieces Officially fell through some time ago somewhere on these boards. I could see some pieces actually drop to 2 since they're so worthless .....

While I do think it is fair to almost ignore the Nautolan as it is a terrible piece I still think the Morseerian is undercosted. For 4 points you have a piece that can very easily be boosted by CEs and SAs. I think for Quadruple, 5-7 points is more in line as a fair cost
surf_rider56
Posted: Tuesday, August 7, 2012 6:10:20 PM

AndyHatton wrote:
surf_rider56 wrote:
hey, that's what the forum's are for, to get us talking ... I assume that you ment the Naut was Overcosted Crumb? I could see the Morseerian going to 5, but I hate to compare overcosted older pieces.

While I do think it is fair to almost ignore the Nautolan as it is a terrible piece I still think the Morseerian is undercosted. For 4 points you have a piece that can very easily be boosted by CEs and SAs. I think for Quadruple, 5-7 points is more in line as a fair cost

I guess my response now would be a thank you for flattering me that you think a piece with 10 HP's and a Defense of 14 will survive to actually get off a shot at all, never mind being in a position to actually use a CE's boost to get more than one high powered shot BlooMilk
AndyHatton
Posted: Tuesday, August 7, 2012 6:23:34 PM

surf_rider56 wrote:
AndyHatton wrote:
surf_rider56 wrote:
hey, that's what the forum's are for, to get us talking ... I assume that you ment the Naut was Overcosted Crumb? I could see the Morseerian going to 5, but I hate to compare overcosted older pieces.

I guess my response now would be a thank you for flattering me that you think a piece with 10 HP's and a Defense of 14 will survive to actually get off a shot at all, never mind being in a position to actually use a CE's boost to get more than one high powered shot BlooMilk

With Swap, Pawn, and GMA anything is possible BlooMilk Wink BigGrin
MaliciousCrumb
Posted: Tuesday, August 7, 2012 11:15:02 PM

surf_rider56 wrote:
AndyHatton wrote:
surf_rider56 wrote:

Sure, 1 of them wouldn't be able to survive for that long, even with cannon fodder around. But with 7 or 8 of them and a good damage boosting CE, they could really do a lot of damage for an 4 pointer. AndyHatton is right about how multiple attacks are so easy to boost. I like the idea, but 4 attacks is a bit too easily powerful with CE's. BTW, I think that the Nautolan is well-costed, it just has to be put in a CE heavy squad to be worthwhile.
surf_rider56
Posted: Wednesday, August 8, 2012 7:58:01 AM

MaliciousCrumb wrote:
surf_rider56 wrote:
AndyHatton wrote:
surf_rider56 wrote:

Sure, 1 of them wouldn't be able to survive for that long, even with cannon fodder around. But with 7 or 8 of them and a good damage boosting CE, they could really do a lot of damage for an 4 pointer. AndyHatton is right about how multiple attacks are so easy to boost. I like the idea, but 4 attacks is a bit too easily powerful with CE's. BTW, I think that the Nautolan is well-costed, it just has to be put in a CE heavy squad to be worthwhile.

Well now, a little controversy is a good thing; makes you think. When more than one person is telling you you're a knucklehead, you should think about why OMG

So ... there aren't that many 4 armed species. The Quermians came to mind and I did a Quermian Spacer a ways back and I looked at it; it didn't raise an eyebrow. The Quermian had almost the exact stats except 20 HP's instead of 10. It also had Opportunist .... and I priced it at 13 .... Hmmmm

Now, the Morseerian is slightly weaker with that 10HP's, only had the Quad, so I'd knock it down 2 for that, but I still didn't want to make it an 11. Then I thought "They're a secretive, rare species" and I hear you all about having 10 of these guys ... but how can you have 10 of a rare species (I ran into 10 Rodian Brutes one game but they're a common species) so how do I "limit" the number of Morseerians?

I came up with this ....

I figured this ability would have a negative number as it were, so the price goes down to 9 .... better?
MaliciousCrumb
Posted: Wednesday, August 8, 2012 8:18:46 AM

I can't see the ability. All I see on the card is quad attack. Oh, and also, the Rodian Raider is 10pts and has triple attack, just for another comparison.
surf_rider56
Posted: Wednesday, August 8, 2012 8:33:28 AM

MaliciousCrumb wrote:
I can't see the ability. All I see on the card is quad attack. Oh, and also, the Rodian Raider is 10pts and has triple attack, just for another comparison.

Photobuckets being weird ... fixed ....
MaliciousCrumb
Posted: Wednesday, August 8, 2012 8:43:49 AM

surf_rider56 wrote:
MaliciousCrumb wrote:

Photobuckets being weird ... fixed ....

Yep, that's better.